Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Wink OK, back at ya...

I don't think your images were shown at 100% crop, Jerry? Even if so, they're no sharper than the 100% crop example I showed.

As for Phil's crops, there are sharpening artifacts showing, especially around the first one. I did no sharpening on my 100% crop (nor on the original), and I think the difference is evident.

It is possible that there's a focusing issue with the FZ30, I'll admit. But when I sense that it's happening on a particular shot, I release the shutter button and try again, which usually corrects the problem. I do believe that the FZ50 has a better AF system than the FZ30, at least if the better AF system on my TZ1 is any indication. It's very fast and accurate, which I've attributed to the new "Linear AF" system implemented with the Venus III engine.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Now I'm a bit confused

John I didn't deliberately do any sharpening on those shots but I do usually take my pictures with the camera sharpening setting on high. The saturation contrast & NR setting are all standard. I checked & that is what I used for all the shots I posted. So presumably the camera is still adding some NR at this setting but it is definately doing extra sharpening. What are you describing as sharpening effects in the images? It's not something I was familiar with so if you can explain what they are I might reduce the camera settings. Also my crops were just done by eye & not to a % what exactly do you mean by 100% crop wouldn't this mean that there was nothing left? Anyway I had a look at your original flower crop & tried to scale mine to be similar it worked out at approximately dividing the original size by 4.5. So here is my original shot & I think an equivalent crop size to yours for comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Here's the crop

I think the focus is a bit suspect at this mag as the flower had quite a depth of field & I can't remember what I used for spot focus. Also rather strangely the yellows seem to glow somehow. All in all still pretty sharp I think but I admit probably not quite as sharp as yours. If you could point out the sharpening defects I'd be grateful. Thanks. Phill
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Quote Originally Posted by John_Reed View Post
    I don't think your images were shown at 100% crop, Jerry? Even if so, they're no sharper than the 100% crop example I showed.

As for Phil's crops, there are sharpening artifacts showing, especially around the first one. I did no sharpening on my 100% crop (nor on the original), and I think the difference is evident.

It is possible that there's a focusing issue with the FZ30, I'll admit. But when I sense that it's happening on a particular shot, I release the shutter button and try again, which usually corrects the problem. I do believe that the FZ50 has a better AF system than the FZ30, at least if the better AF system on my TZ1 is any indication. It's very fast and accurate, which I've attributed to the new "Linear AF" system implemented with the Venus III engine.
    What does a 100% crop mean? Whatever it means these shots are not cropped. They are 100% images done with my CRing adapter and a Nikon 4T at various zoom settings.

Not sharper? Please donít take offence you have got to be kidding you either need a new screen or a new prescription.

As for the focusing issues I can just see my street photography work. Err sir I just took a picture of you a second ago would you please return to that pose my focus was off. Another thing wrong with the FZ30 is the blue tone color rendition and letís not forget the camera freeze. What is camera freeze? Nothing happens when you depress the shutter. Bottom line Panasonic has persuaded a large segment of the camera buying public that the retro look is groovy and that mediocrity is acceptable.

One must see with their vision.
    http://lovelife.smugmug.com/

Phill - I was referring to those little yellow thingies...

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
    I think the focus is a bit suspect at this mag as the flower had quite a depth of field & I can't remember what I used for spot focus. Also rather strangely the yellows seem to glow somehow. All in all still pretty sharp I think but I admit probably not quite as sharp as yours. If you could point out the sharpening defects I'd be grateful. Thanks. Phill
    That's how much of a Scientist I am! The little yellow thingies sticking up around the core of your flower look like they've been over-sharpened. There's a sort of a "halo" around them, and even some red CA, at that. Maybe it wasn't from sharpening. I usually keep my FZ30 at "normal," not "high" sharpening. But I didn't see any of those artifacts on those yellow fuzzy thingies in the middle of my flower, for instance.
    Last edited by John_Reed; 10-27-2006 at 11:26 PM.
    Let a be your umbrella!

You know what a crop is, Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLife View Post
    What does a 100% crop mean? Whatever it means these shots are not cropped. They are 100% images done with my CRing adapter and a Nikon 4T at various zoom settings.

Not sharper? Please donít take offence you have got to be kidding you either need a new screen or a new prescription.

As for the focusing issues I can just see my street photography work. Err sir I just took a picture of you a second ago would you please return to that pose my focus was off. Another thing wrong with the FZ30 is the blue tone color rendition and letís not forget the camera freeze. What is camera freeze? Nothing happens when you depress the shutter. Bottom line Panasonic has persuaded a large segment of the camera buying public that the retro look is groovy and that mediocrity is acceptable.
    A crop is just the pixels of an image, not downsized for screen viewing. Certainly if you exhibit images at full size without downsizing, they'd take up a LOT of screen space here. So, for example, my flower "crop" is about a 400 X 400 pixel slice of the middle of an 8MP image. And it's shown here at original size. And details that might be easy to see at the 100% crop level could be obscured when the images (like yours?) are downsampled for display here at reasonable screen sizes. But you knew that already.

I don't know what you mean by "Camera freeze?" That's never happened to me. I've now passed 32K exposures with my FZ30, maybe soon I'll see it? There IS a "screen freeze" phenomenon, shared with the FZ20 actually, that happens when you use one of the "high speed" AF modes. For the FZ20, I think it's the "3-area" AF mode, for the FZ30, it can be selected, the "H" versions of the 1-area and 3-area AF modes. And what happens there is that to speed up the AF process, the camera delays updating the LCD/EVF raster until AF is achieved. That's called "Screen Freeze." I don't know what you mean by "Camera Freeze," unless you're trying to shoot immediately after taking a RAW or TIFF shot?

Characteristic blue tone? Where is it in this photo? (Shot at 1/10 of a second with AWB, ~100mm equivalent)
    Let a be your umbrella!

Characteristic blue tone? Where is it in this photo? (Shot at 1/10 of a second with AWB, ~100mm equivalent)

Question Meaning?

So you de-saturated my image a little (definitely cooling the image; I guess your "vision" sees these kids differently than I do?). That image as shown was presented as it came from the camera. I still don't see the "blue tint" issue, unless you count their blue jeans?
    Let a be your umbrella!

So you de-saturated my image a little (definitely cooling the image; I guess your "vision" sees these kids differently than I do?). That image as shown was presented as it came from the camera. I still don't see the "blue tint" issue, unless you count their blue jeans?
    The only thing I did was adjust the W/B.