Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb A whole new bag suggestion

Let's say you opted for the SONY A100 (10.2 MP) with its body-level sensor stabilization "Super SteadyShot" over the Canon 30D (8.2 MP), a Nikon D80 (10.2 MP) and even the Olympus E-volt 500 4/3 DSLR.

What lenses would you slap on the front of this camera to make it a quality bag?

My suggestion:

UWA (optional): SONY DT 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 ($600)
    or
    WA-prime (optional): SONY DT 28mm f/2.8 ($249) w/ 0.45x UWA Add-on lens: Phoenix 0.45x lens ($69)

Normal: TAmROn SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF) (SONY/Minolta-mount) ($449)

Prime (optional): SONY DT 50mm f/1.4 ($319)

Telephoto: Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 ATX (SONY/Minolta-mount) ($649)

Even if you only got the TAmROn 17-50 f/2.8 and the Tokina 80-200 f/2.8, this would be quite the system with Image Stability thrown in for free. The total cost for the Camera, and the two lenses... $1900!

The Canon EOS 30D equivalent system (30D, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, & 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM) would be $3700... almost double!!

Consider SONY... it's money in the bank... or... a few more lenses.

Even if you thought you hadn't made up your mind about which system has the "bang for the buck", you should have now.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-22-2006 at 11:31 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Let's say you opted for the SONY A100 (10.2 MP) with its body-level sensor stabilization "Super SteadyShot" over the Canon 30D (8.2 MP), a Nikon D80 (10.2 MP) and even the Olympus E-volt 500 4/3 DSLR.

What lenses would you slap on the front of this camera to make it a quality bag?

My suggestion:

UWA (optional): SONY DT 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 ($600)
    or
    WA-prime (optional): SONY DT 28mm f/2.8 ($249) w/ 0.45x UWA Add-on lens: Phoenix 0.45x lens ($69)

Normal: TAmROn SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF) (SONY/Minolta-mount) ($449)

Prime (optional): SONY DT 50mm f/1.4 ($319)

Telephoto: Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 ATX (SONY/Minolta-mount) ($649)

Even if you only got the TAmROn 17-50 f/2.8 and the Tokina 80-200 f/2.8, this would be quite the system with Image Stability thrown in for free. The total cost for the Camera, and the two lenses... $1900!

The Canon EOS 30D equivalent system (30D, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, & 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM) would be $3700... almost double!!

Consider SONY... it's money in the bank... or... a few more lenses.

Even if you thought you hadn't made up your mind about which system has the "bang for the buck", you should have now.
    I don't know if it is that easy Don. You are comparing 2 completely different types of equipment.
    1) As far as bodies are concerned, I think you should be comparing the Sony A100 to the Rebel XT or XTI, but even then I think Canon has a better name for themselves.
    2) You are comparing L or near L glass (Still 1st party) to a lesser 3rd party name. There is a reason why you pay a premium for L glass and also a reason why you pay a premium for 1st party glass.
    3) It is well known that in body IS does not provide as many stops as "In Lens" IS. I have read articles that say the Sony only provides 2 stops (even though they claim 3.5), whereas the 17-55 offers 3 and the 70-200 offers 4.

You aren't comparing apples to oranges, but there are major differences between your comparison of the Sony system and Canon system. I agree that an amateur photographer could start off with a great kit on a budget, but for me, I would rather go with the top of the pile (IE: Canon or even Nikon), start out with less, and slowly build up my lens lineup.
    Ken
    Last edited by ktixx; 10-23-2006 at 06:29 AM.
    Canon dSLR User

Cool Remember the place you read this...

This is the SONY forum... and specifically is catering to the SONY camera issues. I brought up the "SONY-bag" as a way to simplify purchases to that end.

Personally, for the "average" (whatever that means) photographer, the SONY has most of the tricks covered, plus throws in the Super SteadyShot for all your lensing. It would be hard to go wrong with this set up... and if a photographer did have a notion for Full Frame, then a Canon-investment would be in order. Get out a good sized wallet, though, as Canon IS-equipped lensing is serious extra cash... that you simply would NOT have to spend using the SONY.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-13-2006 at 10:42 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

So Don,

what would you suggest for an upgraded lens for this camera? I just actually won a sonyA100 dslr. I am super excited about it and I used it last night for a few moments , I dont know a lot about cameras but I normally use a canon digital camera and a Nikon F65 slr.

I take lots of horse photos, so there is a fair bit of action, I would like a lens that goes to 300mm. the current zoom lens is an 18-70mm,

I phoned Sony store and the price for the lens that goes from 18mm to 300mm was 650.00, and the one from 75mm-300mm was 349.00, I would assume thats a sony brand lens.

when I called London drugs their price on a 75mm -300mm was only 199.00 so I need to learn about the lens, and any advice you can send my way would be so appreciated.

Can we use different brands of lenses on these cameras, or are they designed specifically for digital camers.

I am sorry for so many questions, but it looks like you may have a lot of knowledge.

thanks

sandy

Don, a more accurate price comparison would use the same lenses on both the Sony and Canon were possible. The price gap would drop considerably.
    Nikon D3, D300, F-100, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 AF-S II, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, SU-800, SB-900, 4xSB-800, 1.4x and 1.7x TC
    (2) Profoto Acute 2400 packs w/4 heads, Chimera Boxes

Cool Lose the 18-70mm!

Quote Originally Posted by SanD View Post
    So Don,

what would you suggest for an upgraded lens for this camera? I just actually won a sonyA100 dslr. I am super excited about it and I used it last night for a few moments , I dont know a lot about cameras but I normally use a canon digital camera and a Nikon F65 slr.

I take lots of horse photos, so there is a fair bit of action, I would like a lens that goes to 300mm. the current zoom lens is an 18-70mm,
    Well, the unfortunate part of that 18-70mm kit lens, that came with it is that it is NOT very good. So bad, in fact, it is the FIRST lens I would swap out. My personal advice is to give this lens away to someone who has nothing at all... because you really do not want to be tempted to use it ever again. I gave it a good testing... and it is almost a waste of glass. When I bought it with the camera, I had my fingers crossed... but was seriously disappointed in the test results.

The lens you want is the
    TAmROn SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF). It will tap on you for about $449, but it is a fantastic lens for the price. Sharp, Low-light, good focal length (effectively 26-75mm on the SONY, with its 1.5x DCF). Chances are you will not ever have to replace this lens. It has a 6-year warranty, is lightweight, and has already made a "lens of the year" list.

The other lens you want is the
    TAmROn AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2. This is another good performer at a superior price ($149).

EDIT: I do own one, now. I'm not thrilled by the focus speed, but like other 70-300mm, none of them are dramatically fast in that regard. For the price though, I felt needed the experience of using it. It pops a little longer than the 70-210mm ... but not nearly as quick.

(I don't own one because) I already had a Ozunon 70-210mm f/4.5 lens in my bag. That may change, though, as I have found one I am considering. Just waiting for my price. It is great outdoors, but once inside... like almost any other 70-300mm... you need a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by SanD View Post
    I phoned Sony store and the price for the lens that goes from 18mm to 300mm was 650.00, and the one from 75mm-300mm was 349.00, I would assume thats a sony brand lens.

when I called London drugs their price on a 75mm -300mm was only 199.00 so I need to learn about the lens, and any advice you can send my way would be so appreciated.

Can we use different brands of lenses on these cameras, or are they designed specifically for digital camers.

I am sorry for so many questions, but it looks like you may have a lot of knowledge.

thanks

sandy
    These lenses have to have the Minolta A-mount or SONY-mounts to work on the SONY A100 Alpha. The assortment of other Minolta AF lenses all work on the SONY also, so there is a lot of glass to choose from, out there.

For a little extra reach... consider looking at the
    Tokina AT-X 840 80-400mm f4-5.6. This lens really is an all-in-one solution to outdoor telephoto, if you can get one. It weighs and costs quite a bit more than the 70-300mm, but returns an excellent shot... and if you are running around like you say, coupled with the SONY's built-in Super-SteadyShot (Image Stability)... you would be good to go and not need much more in lenses.

Good Luck and I hope you at least take a look at the glass I have suggested. I really do not feel you will be disappointed.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-08-2007 at 01:05 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by RichNY View Post
    Don, a more accurate price comparison would use the same lenses on both the Sony and Canon were possible. The price gap would drop considerably.

Rich... you have to take into consideration that the SONY has Image Stability already built into its little body... so any Canon lens you would directly compare would have to have this feature, too... hence, tack on $300 to $600... or maybe even $1000 (depending on the lens) for that little stability add on. SONY gives it to you for... nothing more, so just about any manufacturer's lens you place on it gets a STABLE home, even a 500mm f/8 Reflex lens!

Can you imagine... 500mm stable focusing with a $100 T-mount lens? I swear, sometimes this stuff is scary.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-30-2007 at 03:56 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

For a little extra reach... consider looking at the Tokina ATX 80-400mm f4-5.6. This lens really is an all-in-one solution to outdoor telephoto, if you can get one. It weighs and cost quite a bit more than the 70-300mm, but returns an excellent shot... and if you are running around like you say, coupled with the SONY's built-in Super-SteadyShot (Image Stability)... you would be good to go and not need much more in lenses.

Would this be a lens I can carry around and take photos with , without a tripod? do you have any idea how much it would run,

Is there any good websites to purchase lenses or is it to dangerous to ship them.

I love the idea of having a 400mm lens

thanks again,

sandy

Thumbs up The search begins...

Sandy,

Here is a link to give you a feel for what the lens is capable of...

CLICK ON THIS

It's tough to get... because I believe it may have been discontinued, recently.

Here's a link to begin the search with...

SEARCH HERE

Sorry I can't be more helpful... but, I believe this is the one to get, to be sure... if you can.

Another option maybe to get a Sigma/Tokina combination... which I cannot attest to. SIGMA has a 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO SO(M)/AF lens (2.7 lbs)

Name:  sigma 135-400mm.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  27.5 KB

but, at this focal range, you are definitely going to need something to cover in between the 50mm and the 135mm. Right now, that really can be a crap shoot.

Tokina is releasing a new f/2.8 which, unbelievably, is right in that range. It probably will not be available until March 2007. Use this link for a peek at it. Here's all I have...

Name:  Tokina AT-X535DX.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  39.6 KB

Unfortunately, there is no guaranty that they are planning it to have a SONY/Minolta Mount, so this is hardly something I would be waiting on.

The best bet is to hang out on ebay and pray someone puts their Tokina AT-X 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 Minolta Mount up for sale. You never know.

For long range glass, TAmROn does currently make their SP AF200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD (2.4 lbs) super-zoom for the SONY/Minolta mount.

Name:  Tamron 200-500mm.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  31.6 KB

I, personally, have this lens for my Canon (wish I had one for the SONY, too)... and it is sharp and fast. You may want to just take a look at it, if you are out and about. With the SONY's internal stabilization, it would give this lens real competitive capability.

Yeah... that business interruption between Minolta and SONY really sent a rip~ple through the availability of third party lenses with compatible mounts. The businesses apparently weren't willing to bet on SONY's determination of producing the A100. I suspect, though, after next year... the SONY/Minolta mounts will be back. SONY has warehouses full of Minolta's regular and high-end G-glass that needs to be rebranded, repackaged and reshipped to the distributors. This would be a killer time for the third-parties to get a foothold on supplying the void.

I mean, take a look at this serious looking 70-200mm f/2.8...

Name:  70-200mm_f28G(D)_ssm.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  38.4 KB

This is a lens for the ages.

Or this 300mm f/2.8...

Name:  300mm_f28_G(D)_ssm.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  9.1 KB

The SONY re-wrap is coming... soon.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-23-2006 at 04:53 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Question A sticky?

Obviously, with a new crop of SONY users, this thread should get more play.

Can we make it a sticky?

flickr & Sdi