Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comparing ALPHA to 20D/30D/Xti

Has anyone been able to overcome the Sony's disavantage in higher ISO noises with diffrent lenses? The Alpha seems like a great camrea, but the Canon's lineup is just such a powerhouse of previously great inovations that its hard to get a good comparison.

Personally...I couldn't use a 400D because of its size, but it is the closest in pricerange and features.

Thoughts?

Re-read your post and you're done with your research. You want to be in the Canon family, the XTi is physically too small for many people, unless you are buying used the 20D doesn't make sense as the 30D with rebates is cheaper.

You can research till the cows come home and you are going to end up with the conclusion that with today's pricing and rebates, the best choice for someone without pre-existing lenses is easily the 30D.

Been there, done that, my 30D came Fed-X this past Friday.
    Nikon D3, D300, F-100, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 AF-S II, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, SU-800, SB-900, 4xSB-800, 1.4x and 1.7x TC
    (2) Profoto Acute 2400 packs w/4 heads, Chimera Boxes

try out the 30D at a store.....better grip .......

farouk

Red face High-ISO noise

IMHO, I think you guys are wasting your time worrying about high-ISO noise. If you are shooting properly and with decent equipment, your ISO should not be over 400 for 90% of your shots. I would concentrate IQ there... but not higher, unless it is just horrible.

So sayeth me... LOL

Get a SONY and just stick it to image sh-sh-shake.

Name:  image-shake-LOL.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  189.3 KB
    SONY A100 w/ Minolta AF50mm f/1.7 @ f/2.8 1/125 sec. ISO-200 Manual (Tungsten Lighting)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-21-2006 at 08:34 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Holy geez, which Mirage filter is that?
    ================================
    Gallery : DeviantArt

dSLR : SAMSUNG GX-1L
    dP&S : CASIO EXILIM EX-S500
    35mm SLR : PENTAX MZ-M w/ PENTAX FG Battery Grip

SIGMA 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 Aspherical IF (Pentax AF Mount)
    18-55/3.5-5.6, 35-70/3.5-4.8, 70-210/4-5.6, 80-200/4.5
    28/2.8, 50/2, 135/2.8, 135/3.5, 200/3.5, 300/5.6

That is a Cokin 13-image filter. It does in the real world with one shutter trip what folks struggle to acheive in Photoshop to acheive.

I like using the multi-image filters when I already have the shot and just want to "spice it up" a little, with some S.E. They come in several flavors... 5, 13, & 25. I also have the "mirage" filter, which I rarely use.

These filters were developed before digital and photo-chop became popular, but they still work with optics... and quite well, too.

Name:  should-i.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  223.5 KB
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Looks great!
    ================================
    Gallery : DeviantArt

dSLR : SAMSUNG GX-1L
    dP&S : CASIO EXILIM EX-S500
    35mm SLR : PENTAX MZ-M w/ PENTAX FG Battery Grip

SIGMA 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 Aspherical IF (Pentax AF Mount)
    18-55/3.5-5.6, 35-70/3.5-4.8, 70-210/4-5.6, 80-200/4.5
    28/2.8, 50/2, 135/2.8, 135/3.5, 200/3.5, 300/5.6

OH WOW I like that pics. I have the multi image lens I will have to try it out!! I love working with dif effect on dif pics. I have the sony a100 and I LOVE IT!! had it for a few weeks and have no problems. If u work the camera right U will acheive good pics. Its not the camera that takes the pics, Its how u take the pics that will get good results!!!

Marcie

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Has anyone been able to overcome the Sony's disavantage in higher ISO noises with diffrent lenses? The Alpha seems like a great camrea, but the Canon's lineup is just such a powerhouse of previously great inovations that its hard to get a good comparison.

Personally...I couldn't use a 400D because of its size, but it is the closest in pricerange and features.

Thoughts?
    I dont know whos / what has made that thought of the small grip on the Canon 400D stick. When I first thought about purchasing a DSLR, quite a few people mentioned the grip to be a problem.

I'll tell you this. IT ISNT A BIG PROBLEM. Some people in this forum will provide you with misleading information. Being naive on the industry, I listened and convinced myself that the grip was a big issue. During the same period, I was in and out of stores trying different camera models and builds. Sure the build on the XTi is smaller, but that comes with its advantages, seeing that I like to move around / travel.

TODAY, Im a proud owner of my Canon Rebel XTi 400D. I have no grip issues, what-so-ever with the camera.

AND, to give you an idea. My hands are big enough to grip a basketball. Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    IMHO, I think you guys are wasting your time worrying about high-ISO noise. If you are shooting properly and with decent equipment, your ISO should not be over 400 for 90% of your shots. I would concentrate IQ there... but not higher, unless it is just horrible.

So sayeth me... LOL
    I agree.

Pheller, also good to bare in mind that lenses are expensive. You will definately save with Sony's A100 built-in IS (Image Stabilisation) system, by a few hundred $$$ on every lense that you purchase.

In all fairness, even Sony's line of lenses do not come cheap. As with Canon's.
    Therefore and to re-iterate, better equipment = no high ISO noise issues.