Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canon S3, what else would be great?

After looking at "Truflip" shots I am stunned!!!!!!!! They are some awesome photos, that I really enjoy looking at over and over!!
    I have been getting ready to get a Canon S3. I am getting everything I need first before getting the camera, I hope this makes sense to you, it does to me.

So far I have a AccuManager 20 charger and two 4 packs of the new eneloop batteries.
    I am going to get a Ridata 2GB SD 150X memory card to start. My reason for the Ridata is the fact that they make the best CD/DVD disks I have ever used, I think they are here to stay, hope the hell they are compatible with the S3!

QUESTION: I need the advise of some real experts such as "Truflip" on what I should consider to be able to take those "AWESOME" close up shots of his such as filters, whatever. This even includes a great case and small extras, I believe you get the idea.
    All advise would be extremely welcome, except for people saying get the camera first!

My photography experience is somewhat limited, so if you advise something please say why with an example if you can. I give you my word that I will give you updates on the progress of the whole process.
    Sincerely, Changeling

My advise would be get the camera first... Why it's infinitely easier that way.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    QUESTION: I need the advise of some real experts such as "Truflip" on what I should consider to be able to take those "AWESOME" close up shots of his such as filters, whatever.
    LOL... he said karl is an "expert." karl? expert? =]
    Canon Powershot S3 IS with
    -- Lensmate 52mm Adaptor, Hoya UV Filter, and a Hoya Polarizer
    -- Corsair 2GB SD [60x] and Sony 2700mAh AA's

---- IDeas for :: website :: blog :: flickr :: myspace

Lens etc.

My s3 is on the way and I am very new to this stuff but check out www.lensmate.com for starters they list S3 stuff. If you scroll through the pages, atleast 1-10 on this forum you see a few threads talking about S3 accessories. Its all there just start clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling
    After looking at "Truflip" shots I am stunned!!!!!!!! They are some awesome photos, that I really enjoy looking at over and over!!
    ehh? is that me? thanks for the compliments im glad you like them that much!
    I have been getting ready to get a Canon S3. I am getting everything I need first before getting the camera, I hope this makes sense to you, it does to me.
    if youre 100% sure you will be getting the S3 then this makes sense.. otherwise, id also get the the S3 first

the new eneloop batteries look promising. sometimes id like them cuz i can have em sit in the camera for much longer than my current energizers without having to lose lots of power.. theyre lower mAh rating but i think theyre 100% worth it.. i actually plan on getting them.. and make my energizers the "500+ shot-a-day" battery and the eneloops the "10-20-shot-a-day-for-weeks" hehhe

The ridata card is a good choice! If I could find a 2GB for good price id also like one.. but only one gig for $30 =( a bit much IMO

QUESTION: I need the advise of some real experts such as "Truflip" on what I should consider to be able to take those "AWESOME" close up shots of his such as filters, whatever. This even includes a great case and small extras, I believe you get the idea.
    Im no expert but i'll try my best for awesome close up shots.. try out the Raynox DCR-250, if youre a real close up junkie that is.. there are lower poweres filters like the Hoya kit.. i personally chose the Raynox cuz I want to get as close as possible but not TOO TOO close that its a real pain to take a decent shot.. just two nights ago i took a macro of a moving insect and with the raynox dcr250, u definitely need practice but it doesnt take much to get good shots and did i say at very magnificent Image quality and magnification? for

Case, i dono how much u wanna spend but theres this one called a Crumpler 5 million dollar home.. u may wanna look at the 4 mill home.. it doesnt look like a camera bag, fits quite a lot of things etc.. i personally use a Lowepro Edit 110. it carries the basic equipment. i usually have to carry the raynox in a different box but thats ok cuz when i do that i have the camera on my neck so i jus put the raynox macro in the bag
    All advise would be extremely welcome, except for people saying get the camera first!
    get the camera first!............ jk jk
    anyway i hope this has been helpful let me know if u have any questiosn
    Nikon D80 + TAmROn 17-50mm f/2.8
    - Sandisk 2GB Extreme III SD Card
    - Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home

- had Canon PowerShot S3 IS

For some of my shots:http://flickr.com/photos/truflip/

by the way, id recommend the items listed in my sig.. why? cuz theyre budget items if u have more money u spend, u could always ante up n get say... multicoated UV filter (for least glare possible).. HMC/Pro1 Circular Polarizer (for best glass quality n best glare reduction)
    maybe grab a 52mm and 58mm lensmate filters cuz sometimes your preferred wide angle is only in 52mm but ur tele is 58mm u know what i mean? soo i guess question is.. whats your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by steveLe View Post
    LOL... he said karl is an "expert." karl? expert? =]
    dont giggle at your master young one wipe that smirk off your face

Quote Originally Posted by truflip View Post
    by the way, id recommend the items listed in my sig.. why? cuz theyre budget items if u have more money u spend, u could always ante up n get say... multicoated UV filter (for least glare possible).. HMC/Pro1 Circular Polarizer (for best glass quality n best glare reduction)
    maybe grab a 52mm and 58mm lensmate filters cuz sometimes your preferred wide angle is only in 52mm but ur tele is 58mm u know what i mean? soo i guess question is.. whats your budget?
    Truflip, I really appreciate your reply and advise. Regardless of what your friends say (I know they are kidding), where are there photos! It is obvious you have a unique and gifted way of seeing things through a lens or whatever! I didn't just come to a web site and start running my mouth if I wasn't serious.
    I left one camera site (forum) and came hear after seeing your photos. You are Good there is no mistaking that by anyone's measure!

Some of my answers will get mixed up because I don't remember in what order they were asked.
    Why am I getting the camera last:
    1. When I start to do things I don't want to stop and order a lens or filter or whatever to keep my mind focused on what the hell I'm doing, major point.
    2. This gives me time, maybe Canon will anounce the S4, yea, right, but you never know.
    3. I can investigate the best equipment (lens, adapters, filters,etc) without going nuts.
    4. I have time to contemplate just what the best add on's really are, talking to you and all creditable people with the one thing you can't buy, "Expertise/Experience"!
    I hope that is enough to satisfy everyone.

Now: Why a 52mm lens adapter over a 58mm, or (Lensmate)
    whatever brand? I say Lensmate because it seems what everyone considers the best, I know dam well I don't want plastic!
    Lens: I know very little, but I know it is the difference between great and crap ! What are my options for Macro and Tele?

Thanks guys, Changeling

PS. Merritonline has a sale going on Ridata memory that you might want to look into, shipping free!! I got a 1GB SD 66 for $19.99 delivered!! I don't know how long the sale lasts!

Quote Originally Posted by changeling
    Truflip, I really appreciate your reply and advise. Regardless of what your friends say (I know they are kidding), where are there photos!
    changeling, steveLe is gifted in his own right and as you noted he was just kidding. If you have not seen any of his photos then you could not have been looking too hard. He's posted in the three most popular threads in this section. I appreciate that you are enthused about the young Padawans efforts, so am I and tell him so frequently. Now I responded to your question! And not your admiration of truflip and there are only two other respondents besides truflip and myself so when you say friends you somehow made me inclusive. To something I had nothing to do with, but to answer your question where are my pics? Well, actually that is a good question. What can I say some of us just don't have it. You have a nice day and watch the flame please.
    Last edited by XaiLo; 10-22-2006 at 07:49 PM.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Karl.. didn't you only recently get the macro/close up lens? Weren't MOST of your photos taken with the S3, pretty much stock?

Where i'm going with this is that the S3 has a very capable macro mode and very capable Super macro mode as is. I know you don't want to hear "buy the camera first" but really you should. What good do the accessories do you if you've no camera to use them on? And yes, you're right, the S4 may be announced soon- this is true. But look at what happened with the G7 coming off the G6. Most of the great features everyone adores were completely scrapped and didn't make it to the G7.

If the S4 gets announced it will probably be in spring...4.. maybe 5 months away... What pictures will you miss in the meantime?

Now- the only way i'd change my advice to get camera first is if you have a camera already- in which you're perfectly content with the performance- to hold you over until you get your S3 or S4.

if you already have a camera to hold you over, then please disregard my post

~Cory
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME