Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TZ1 or S3 or other

Budget

600 - preferably less

Size

Small is a big plus, but I don't think it exists for what I am looking for.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 4+

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify) Ultrazoom

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    About an 8.
    Do you care for manual controls?
    I do prefer to have them, but not absolutely essential.
    General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Vacations. Mostly nature/landscape shots. Also underwater if possible.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Mostly no, but the option to make some would be nice.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Mostly just day, but some around sunset. I also sometimes do fireworks shots.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? No, although on my current camera (with no IS) I often set it to sport to eliminate jiggling.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? No, but I don't like xD picture cards, memory sticks, or other media cards known to lose pictures more than sd cards.
    Are there particular models you already have in mind? I like the features of the Panasonic DMC-TZ1, but when I tried it out at bestbuy I did not like how it was layed out and also most of my shots in the store were all white. I have also considered the Cannon S3 IS. I have not tryed this one out though.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    IS or a good sport mode (see above)
    An optional waterproof case would be nice.
    Last edited by onlythecat; 10-14-2006 at 09:06 AM. Reason: adding info

also

Also, nothing is absolutely unchangeable. If something is close, but not quite what I want, suggest it anyway.

Right there isn't a small ultrazoom that's great. You can get a good one (S3, H2) or a small one (TZ1, Nikon S10). Which matters more, image quality and features, or size?

Thumbs up Seems like a job for TZ1, to me...

Most who own them love them. That includes ME, I'm a staunch fan of this little camera. A friend also bought an underwater case for hers, says it's the best underwater case (access to all camera controls) she's ever used.

The TZ1 is small enough to fit in a pants pocket, small belt pouch, wherever, it's quite compact, yet doesn't feel like a lightweight when you're fixing to shoot something.
    Let a be your umbrella!

The TZ1 seems to fit the bill perfectly. I have one too and use it for exactly what you're talking about. To see what it's capable of, I suggest you go through the TZ1 Flickr group and see a bunch of sample shots. Once you get to know it, it's a great "bring-anywhere camera".

~ Brett
    Last edited by nrbelex; 10-16-2006 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks for the advice! A while ago I was almost ready to buy the TZ1, but decided to rethink my decision because I was uncomfortable about the lack of manual controls and such and (mostly) I disliked how the controls were placed. On my current PowerShot A510 I can access the review mode, large four-way controller with set button, shutter, on/off, and mode switch without straining at all. The TZ1, on the other hand, had a small and low-placed four-way controller and a mode switch that is in the center so I can't reach it with my right hand well still holding the camera.

What was the other camera mentioned above along with the S3? The H something I think? What brand is it?

otc... See the Rustic Shots thread I just posted for a few sample shots taken with my TZ1 this weekend. Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24924

JMBZ71

Quote Originally Posted by onlythecat View Post
    What was the other camera mentioned above along with the S3? The H something I think? What brand is it?
    The Sony H2 and H5. Most people consider them the best zooms along with the Canon S3 and Fuji S6000. Yes the TZ1 can take good photos, I didn't mean to offend the TZ1 owners, but it's main advantage is it's small size. It lacks the features of the H2/H5 and S3 and it sounds like onlythecat doesn't like the look and feel of it.

Question "Most people?"

Quote Originally Posted by bascom View Post
    The Sony H2 and H5. Most people consider them the best zooms along with the Canon S3 and Fuji S6000. Yes the TZ1 can take good photos, I didn't mean to offend the TZ1 owners, but it's main advantage is it's small size. It lacks the features of the H2/H5 and S3 and it sounds like onlythecat doesn't like the look and feel of it.
    Does the esteemed reviewer Simon Joinson of dpreview fall into a "minority" viewpoint? Here's what he concluded about the Panasonic FZ50:
    And so, to sum up; for the serious user the FZ50 is without doubt the best equipped, best specified and best handling 'bridge camera' on the market today, and under the right conditions it produces superb output. It is a rewarding and enjoyable photographic tool that - once you've learned its quirks - offers a compact 'all-in-one' solution to anyone wanting a huge zoom range without all that lens changing and all that bulk. Inevitably this involves a certain amount of compromise; the smearing of fine, low contrast detail that is the hallmark of the Venus III engine limits the FZ50 to low ISO settings for any serious photography unless you're happy to accept that you'll never be able to produce big enlargements. For me this is an acceptable compromise, and - though I wish Panasonic would drop the megapixel race and concentrate on picture quality - it does produce excellent printed results. If this had been a mould-breaking 5 or 6 megapixel with excellent low noise performance throughout the ISO range (and particularly up to ISO 800) it would no doubt have performed considerably better and would have been an easy choice for a Highly Recommended. As it is it just squeezes in thanks to its many other outstanding qualities - and only for those users who can live without anything over ISO 200.
    At the risk of reviving my label as a "Pana-apologist," I thought it would be good to provide an alternate view for a change.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Unfortunately, Sony is out of the question due to media card format issues, but that other Panasonic one looks great! Gota go check it out!
    EDIT: Hmm... so much for thinking it might be smaller than the s3... That thing looks a bit like an elephant. Not to say thats not cool though. :-)
    Last edited by onlythecat; 10-17-2006 at 06:45 PM.