Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: 30d vs 400d

30d vs 400d

hi i know you guys have seen my threads about lenses. but as of late ive seen alot of threads concerning the rebates and the 30d versus the 400d(which i was almost set on getting). well ive reached the point now because of all the threads of now wondering if i should get a 30d instead of the 400d. im not a pro and dont plan to go pro, im just making the step from point and shoot to slr. i guess my concerns are features (fps doesnt matter) and IQ(taking into account the MP differences). and dont get me wrong i do know that alot comes down to experience, lenses, and the shooter. i do plan to try to sell some prints here and there so im not sure if the if the MP would make a difference. and ive played with both.....any suggestions and insights/questions are appreciated as always

plow

as far as features, it looks like they are about the same...so why the debate and why me questioning this?
    Last edited by plow; 10-11-2006 at 04:18 PM.

The 400D is aimed at consumers, the 30D is pitched a step above that, I wish I could have afforded the 30D when I bought my 350. Not that I am unhappy with my camera, far from it
    Canon 350D l EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au

Well...

In favor of 30D:

Better build, twice shutter life.
    ISO 3200 and cleaner ISO 1600.
    5 FPS
    Larger Viewfinder
    ISO in 1/3 steps
    ISO in viewfinder (when changing)
    Spot metering
    Battery Life
    2nd LCD screen for settings

In favor of 400D

10 MP.
    Antidust system.
    More compact

IMHO the 400D isn't a choice with the 30D being only 950 for the body after rebates. I'm sure canon is going to introduce the 40D soon with same 10 mp sensor and antidust system but the ISO samples from 400D arn't as good as 30D which is a shame. I'd go with a 30D on oct 15th if in USA.

Tim

Even when they release the 40D you've got to figure its going to be a while before we see them with discounted prices so a $950 30D should still seem like a good value. What do you think, an $1199 retail on the 40D when it comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by plow View Post
    hi i know you guys have seen my threads about lenses. but as of late ive seen alot of threads concerning the rebates and the 30d versus the 400d(which i was almost set on getting). well ive reached the point now because of all the threads of now wondering if i should get a 30d instead of the 400d. im not a pro and dont plan to go pro, im just making the step from point and shoot to slr. i guess my concerns are features (fps doesnt matter) and IQ(taking into account the MP differences). and dont get me wrong i do know that alot comes down to experience, lenses, and the shooter. i do plan to try to sell some prints here and there so im not sure if the if the MP would make a difference. and ive played with both.....any suggestions and insights/questions are appreciated as always

plow

as far as features, it looks like they are about the same...so why the debate and why me questioning this?
    i like the 400D because it's light, has a convenient dust-reduction system, and you can get a nice deal at compusa/bestbuy for the 400D+kit lens+camera bag for $810. it's a nice deal if you want to spend less money. however, i couldnt quite seal the deal and rip open my box because it was a bit comfortable holding the xti. i mean, i could live with it, but it was enough to make me reconsider.

however, the 30D, IMO, has a much nicer grip and is more comfortable to hold and take pictures with. the command dial is very convenient. it also comes with nicer features like spot metering, 5fps, etc...though im sure you might not think much of it at the moment. i'd say, at the very least, it leaves you room to grow.

if you are willing to spend the initial big bucks, i'd say go for the 30D. i say big bucks because while most people refer to the $950 body, it's applicable only if you buy a qualifying lens/flash, which will add ~$200+ more to your initial investment. dont get me wrong, you'll get good equipment up front, but if you dont have the money to pay for the good stuff right now, you wont get the nice $950 deal for the camera.

i already have the XTi at home, but i did it for insurance. i'm still visiting the local camera shops to see if i can negotiate some deals to go with the rebate, and effectively allow me to upgrade to the 30D without too much of a price hike. however, if that doesnt fall through, i'm going to keep the XTi. since i have 2 weeks time to return the XTi and get a full refund, i should have enough time to look into my options and get the best deal possible.
    Last edited by unix04; 10-11-2006 at 07:38 PM.

well hell should i wait for the 40d to come out? any idea on the projected release date and price....i like the 30d for everything except for the MP number compared to the 400. AHHHHHH

well hell should i wait for the 40d to come out? any idea on the projected release date and price....i like the 30d for everything except for the MP number compared to the 400. AHHHHHH
    unless you'll be blowing up your pictures for large prints, i heard you dont need that many MP's. too much may actually add some unwanted noise since you're cramming more data into an already small sensor.

i hope to maybe sell some of my stuff at a pretty large size....this is very nerve racking...i hope i hit a small lotto soon. so yea some will be maybe larger than an 11x 14.
    Last edited by plow; 10-11-2006 at 08:25 PM.

i hope to maybe sell some of my stuff at a pretty large size....this is very nerve racking...i hope i hit a small lotto soon. so yea some will be maybe larger than an 11x 14.
    The likelyhood of selling your prints larger than 11x14 is pretty slim- I don't think you'll be loosing out on your income stream. Pros were shooting with 6mp and earning a fine living.

I was looking at the 350d and a second hand 20d, then i saw that the 400d was coming out and also liked the look of the 30d because of the few extra features, then i was like, shall i wait for the 40d? Basically, you can wait and wait and wait, there will always be something better on the horizon, but then you'll never end up with a camera. technology will always improve so you just have to get what you can afford at the time it is out. If you get the 30d, i'm sure when the 40d comes out, you will still be reasonably happy with your 30d, if not very happy.

BTW, i went for the 20d and don't really miss the extra features of the 30d considering i spent half the price, but after using a friends 350d the other day, i sure as hell miss the features from the 20d over the 350d.

Hope some of that helps and i didn't rant too much
    philshoebottom.co.uk | flickr | Vimeo | Twitter

Canon 7D + 20D | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (for sale)