Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Panasonic DMC FZ7 - Advice for a Newbie?

I am considering replacing my old Minolta Dimage S414, (4 MP and a 4X optical zoom) with a Panasonic DMC FZ7 (6 MP and 12X optical zoom). The FZ7 is available locally for about $400, adding in a 2GB SD card. I take mostly tourist shots, pictures of Caribbean cities, the ocean, and new friends in front of tourist sites. The Panasonic is impressive, but will I notice any difference compared to the Minolta S414, other than being able to make 22" prints?
    Your advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Denny Crane; 10-10-2006 at 10:29 PM.

IMO, you will see a difference...

but, then again, I'm not personally familar with the Minolta. In looking at the side-by-side, it would appear as though you'll have a number of big improvements as long as you're in good lighting...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...mcfz7&show=all

I know that I've been quite happy with my FZ5 and the FZ7 is an improvement over it...
    Telecorder [Dave]
    Apple Valley, CA
    FZ30+TCON17+RDS
    D50+Nikkor 35 f/2; 18-70 DX; 70-300 VRii + BIGMA 50-500 EX HSM
    Kenko Pro 1.4X TC
    Sigma EX 1.4X TC
    SB-600
    My Image Galleries

Thanks for your input.

Your feedback was very helpful, as I leave for vacation on Friday. In checking out my Minolta today, I notice that it takes 12-14 seconds to store a TIFF on my 150X 1 GB CF card. I see from the DCR review that "Shot-to-shot speeds were excellent. When shooting in the JPEG modes, expect a delay of around 1 second between shots. If you're using TIFF, expect the camera to be locked up for 3-4 seconds before you can take another picture (this is with a high speed SD card, so it may be longer with slow cards)." Looks like I need a FZ7 and a fast 2GB card.
    Last edited by Denny Crane; 10-11-2006 at 11:02 AM.

My preference is to shoot...

in jpg fine mode and use multiple 1-GB 80X or faster SD cards. The TIFF files don't have that much advantage over the jpgs image files and I get a lot more images on a card/faster. 80X cards are fast enough for the camera writing and any faster speeds only come into play when down loading via a USB 2.0 card reader to the PC.

I use multiple 80X 1-GB SD cards with the reasoning that if one fails, I have another for continuing. Besides, they're usually less expensive than the fast 2-GB cards...
    Telecorder [Dave]
    Apple Valley, CA
    FZ30+TCON17+RDS
    D50+Nikkor 35 f/2; 18-70 DX; 70-300 VRii + BIGMA 50-500 EX HSM
    Kenko Pro 1.4X TC
    Sigma EX 1.4X TC
    SB-600
    My Image Galleries

Red face I agree with Dave...

It's been demonstrated to the satisfaction of many that TIFF offers no advantage over a "Fine" JPG file. I myself have made pixel by pixel comparisons in the past between TIFFs and JPGs, and whatever difference there was was VERY difficult to see. A lot of the fun of a camera like the FZ7 comes from fast shot-shot times, burst mode shooting, etc., all of which are defeated when you shoot in TIFF.

If you're concerned about archiving images, simply save the downloaded "Fine" JPG in a "read-only" form, so that it can never itself be edited, only copies get edited. Your JPG "gold standard" will serve you well that way, and not occupy nearly so much disk space as the corresponding TIFF file.
    Let a be your umbrella!