Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Sony DSC-H5 Should I wait?

I am going to Hong Kong in November and wanted to get a digital camera here to take pictures instead of my excellent Canon rebel ti film camera. Already Costco is phasing out 100 asa film and soon I expect they won't develop film any more. I like the shirt pocket smallness of the non digital Sony cyber-shot cameras but fear the resolution will be much less than what I now get from film. Then I see the Sony dsc-h5 and it looks like the one to buy. The only nagging thought is whether, in a few months, Sony introduces a 10MP variant with an external flash capabilityand I am kicking myself for not waiting. Does anyone have any news about an upgraded Sony DSC-Hx ? Rumours are acceptable and actual data appreciated.

I had the opportunity to shoot with an H2 for two weeks in Bora Bora this past August. It's a great little camera, the H5 with its large screen is even nicer. 10mpix isn't going to make a difference with the camera- it is still going to have the same short coming in that it is a Digicam not a DSLR.

The point is that everything about the H5 was pretty good- except for things like shutter lag which isn't going to go away with a future upgrade. There were no features or functions that I felt were lacking that would make me want to hold out for a future revision.

Q. If you are used to shooting with a film Rebel SLR, why wouldn't you just consider switching over to a Rebel XTi? Considering you already have lenses, you'd end up with a much better setup for not much more money than an H5.

Quote Originally Posted by RichNY View Post
    I had the opportunity to shoot with an H2 for two weeks in Bora Bora this past August. It's a great little camera, the H5 with its large screen is even nicer. 10mpix isn't going to make a difference with the camera- it is still going to have the same short coming in that it is a Digicam not a DSLR.

The point is that everything about the H5 was pretty good- except for things like shutter lag which isn't going to go away with a future upgrade. There were no features or functions that I felt were lacking that would make me want to hold out for a future revision.

Q. If you are used to shooting with a film Rebel SLR, why wouldn't you just consider switching over to a Rebel XTi? Considering you already have lenses, you'd end up with a much better setup for not much more money than an H5.
    Good point the rebel is a sweet little camera and light. I guess I just wanted a smaller DSLR that would slip into my pocket instead of dangling from the neck like Tommy Tourist I have a HD Sony Camcorder which is small and light that I want to take as well and the whole package gets bulky which inhibits spontaniety.

DSC-H5 isn't a dSLR...

Quote Originally Posted by dragon888 View Post
    Good point the rebel is a sweet little camera and light. I guess I just wanted a smaller DSLR that would slip into my pocket instead of dangling from the neck like Tommy Tourist I have a HD Sony Camcorder which is small and light that I want to take as well and the whole package gets bulky which inhibits spontaniety.
    I think you are under a bit of a misconception. Just because the DSC-H5 looks like a dSLR doesn't mean it is one. The DSC-H5 is a digicam with the smaller digicam sensor. It's still a great camera, but it's not a dSLR.

-Allan

Quote Originally Posted by RichNY View Post
    Bora Bora, been hearing much about this place. Dont know if we are talking about the same thing. Please indulge me

Quote Originally Posted by krzkrzkrz View Post
    Bora Bora, been hearing much about this place. Dont know if we are talking about the same thing. Please indulge me
    Bora Bora is one of the many Islands of French Polynesia located in the South Pacific Ocean between Hawaii and Australia and is one of the most beautiful places on earth. The 'main' Island is the Island of Tahiti where the International Airport is located. The 3rd well known island in French Polynesia is Moorea. Aside from these there are dozens of smaller beautiful islands and motus.

These pictures I posted in September don't do the Islands justice.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...&postcount=498
    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...&postcount=519
    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...&postcount=725
    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...&postcount=262
    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=70
    Nikon D3, D300, F-100, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 AF-S II, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, SU-800, SB-900, 4xSB-800, 1.4x and 1.7x TC
    (2) Profoto Acute 2400 packs w/4 heads, Chimera Boxes