Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

newbie, help with picking camera...

This will be my first digital camera, I would like to get into taking quality pics and want a good all around camera. I know i will want to take low light shots, so a camera with low light quality is important. Can anyone help me out?

Budget: around 400 usd.

Size: doesn't matter that much, small preferred...

Features: at least 7 mp, zoom isn't a biggie, i want best image quality for the money of course... I'm kind of new so i don't know if i need manual controls, if they help me take better pictures then i will learn to use them...

General Usage: camera is for personal use, i wont be making big prints with it, I do want something with high quality low light shots and day shots, action shots aren't particularly important...

Miscellaneous: Image stabilization would be nice...

fuji finepix f30 would give you the edge in low light, but it has no IS and is a 6.3MP camera.

sony h5 has IS, extra zoom (which you didnt need but is still nice), good overall image quality, and takes decent night shots, but probably not as great as the f30 can.

the canon s3 could also be a great option, but also lacks in low-light performance to the f30. but like the h5, offers IS and takes gret pictures.

thanks for the response! so theres nothing in the 7mp range with good low light quality other than the sony (not a sony fan) what if we bumped it up to 500 usd? Thanks

Question Why so many MP?

Quote Originally Posted by slamdawg543 View Post
    thanks for the response! so theres nothing in the 7mp range with good low light quality other than the sony (not a sony fan) what if we bumped it up to 500 usd? Thanks
    Is there some reason why you think you need so many MP? There's a fine 13X19 framed print hanging in my office, made from a 2MP image file, that makes me pose the question?

For your stated purposes, I'll bet you'd do fine with the Fuji F30.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Quote Originally Posted by John_Reed View Post
    Is there some reason why you think you need so many MP? There's a fine 13X19 framed print hanging in my office, made from a 2MP image file, that makes me pose the question?

For your stated purposes, I'll bet you'd do fine with the Fuji F30.
    I have now valid reason why i want so many MP, i guess i just like trying to buy the best quality things i can...

So if Im doing like 50/50 day and night shooting is the Fuji F30 the best choice or is there something better out there?

Edit: also would there be a chance of waiting for a few months to see if fuji comes out with an f30 with Image stabilization?
    Last edited by slamdawg543; 10-09-2006 at 01:23 PM.

I have now valid reason why i want so many MP, i guess i just like trying to buy the best quality things i can...
    You are an innocent victim of camera manufacturers' MegaPixel War. They seem to be trying to mislead buyers that bigger MP means better image. That's just not the case. Good images come from good lens and sensor.

Edit: also would there be a chance of waiting for a few months to see if fuji comes out with an f30 with Image stabilization?
    I don't think that will happen in the next few months. The good thing about F30 is it has very clean image comparable to DSLR so you can use higher ISO settings to gain higher shutter speed.

Edit: So far I assume you are looking for a small compact, but reading your post again it seems that you are just probing the types of cameras. If you don't mind the size, I suggest you also look into some ultra zoom like Unix04 suggests.
    Last edited by tim11; 10-09-2006 at 03:52 PM.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

alright, i'll look into them... but so far, the f30 seems to be the probable choice...

thank you guys for your help...