Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

STIFF 50mm 1.8d MOUNT

Hi ,
    Ive just bought a Nikon 50mm 1.8 d lense for my d80,The lense is very stiff fitting it to camera,All my other lenses can be fitted with light finger pressure,this one I have to exert a lot more pressure to fit it,Is this something thats common with the lens and will it ease up over time,,I phoned the shop this morning and the salesman tried another lense on a d80 for comparison, he said that one was quite stiff as well to fit,anyone else had the problem, Thanks
    Brian

The 50mm 1.8 has a metal mounting ring do your other lenses have metal or plastic mounts?

Hi KIWI,I have 3 with metal mounts and 1 with plastic,all are very easy to mount in camera,lenses are Nikon ,Tamron and Sigma,
    Brian

My new 50mm 1.8 is also hard to mount to my new D50. It's gotten a little bit easier as I've taken it off and on about 4 times now.

Ive also noticed that when I twist in the 50mm it does take a little more muscle than normal to get into place. I dont see it as a problem though.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

I worked in a camera shop over this last summer and I've shown many customers the Nikon 50 1.4 and 50 1.8. I too noticed that they were harder to mount than other lenses. Perhaps it's just because the lens is new, maybe you got to work it in.

Smile

Hi,
    Thanks for your replies,I can put my mind at ease and now enjoy using it,
    Thanks again
    Brian

My 50/1.8d used to be tight fitting but after several removals it loosened up. I guess its normal.

Tight Mounts

Remember Nikon's instruction on mechanical focus AF lenses, SWITCH THE CAMERA TO MANUAL FOCUS TO RETRACT THE FOCUS DRIVE or as some call it "the screwdriver"
    REASON: Depressing and holding the lens mount release button does not always fully retract the drive blade.

Over 40 years of Nikon SLR, 16 of Nikon AF SLR and 4 of Nikon DSLR ownership and experience shooting for $$$ and Fun.

E.J. "Ed" Michaels
    Evidence, Forensic, Scene Photography & Deposition Video
    Mobile, Voice: +1+609.617.7766
    Mobile, Text Only: edmichaels@vtext.com
    Voice, Toll Free: 1+888.810.5187
    Fax, Toll Free: 1+888.810.5189
    E-mail: edmichaels@ejmphotovideo.com
    U.S. Mail: P.O. Box 366
    Maple Shade, NJ 08052
    Member: Evidence Photographers International Council http://www.epic-photo.org/USA/newjersey.htm
    Lifetime Member: International Freelance Photographers Organization
    http://www.aipress.com/