Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

CANON SD700 or SD800?

Should I buy the Canon SD700 now or wait for the SD800?

SD800 IS is already available, so need to wait.

Which to buy is up to you. I'm seeing mixed reports on various forums. Some people love their 800, some don't and prefer the 700. I think the 800's wide angle 28mm lense is a great thing to have though. All other things being equal, I'd choose the 800 just for that. But we don't really know how IQ compares yet (forum reports indicate the 800 may have some issues).

If you can, wait for some pro reviews, like the one coming soon from this site. That will help.

Question Now that time has passed...

Time has passed - both cameras have been out for a while now - I'm testing them both and need to return one.

So far, the pics on the 700 are sharper, with a few exceptions. However, the movies on the 800 are smoother, quieter, with less background noise.

I'm still stuck - what has everyone else found regarding the comparison between these two products? Which would you keep, which would you return and why?

I take a lot of people shots, but lots of landscapes and outdoor photos as well. I also use the stitch assist, wide angle and special settings (especially the colour settings) on occasion, and I use the macro mode as well.

I'm looking for the best possible colour, clarity and sharpness. I occassionally use movie mode as well.

Please respond with your views, especially if you've had the chance to use both cameras. Am I missing anything??

Need to decide soon...

Thanks!!

I have the 800 and have been very happy with it. I have never used the 700 though. I have heard that the 700 has a little better image quality but have been more than satisfied with the pictures from the 800.

SD800 compared to the SD700...Here's the short list from the dcresource review (the megapixel difference is not a big deal, the better image quality is obviously debatable and the 1600 ISO is pretty much useless):

7.1 Megapixel CCD (versus 6.0 on the SD700)
    3.8X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 28 - 105 mm (versus 4X, 35 - 140 mm)
    Uses new DIGIC III image processor (instead of DIGIC II) promises superior photo quality, battery life, and performance
    New Face Detection technology
    Higher resolution LCD
    ISO now goes as high as 1600 (versus 800)
    Movie recording file size limit now 4GB (versus 1GB)
    12% improvement in battery life
    Supports SDHC memory cards

To me the wide angle, better battery life, nicer LCD, and movie recording file limit improvement are pretty significant.
    Canon SD800 IS

Thanks for the reply - it's a great consolation to hear that you are satisfied with the 800. So far, people who have purchased that camera seem happy with it. I have heard that the colour is good too, and I love it great colour!!

Has anyone out there had the chance to try both of these cameras? Again, I'm interested especially in the photo quality, as well as any opinions anyone has regarding movies and movie quality.

Did anyone else have to chose between these two - if so, which did you select in the end, and why??

Thanks again -

i chose between the 2 and picked the sd800, (ixus 850 here in Oz). why i picked the 800:

has a higher res screen
    is lighter and a tad smaller
    28mm equivalent wide angle compared to 35mm equivalent wide angle. (i prefer a compact to go wider rather than longer.)
    face detection which works brilliantly.

this is the best compact i have ever owned by miles and am very happy with it. my brother has the 700 which he bought b4 the 800 was released, he is the opposite from me, he prefers a longer zoom. photos compared side by side are indistinguishable. both have excellent image quality.
    Last edited by Rooz; 04-11-2007 at 04:00 AM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Wow - your pics

I checked out your photo link "G'Day" and wow!!

What pictures!! You didn't actually take those with the SD800 did you? If you did, I'd say that I was sold, but I'm having my doubts as I saw reference to Nikon as well.

Anyways, your baby boy is adorable - and nothing surpasses baby photos, nothing.

Wow - your pics

I checked out your photo link "G'Day" and wow!!

What pictures!! You didn't actually take those with the SD800 did you? If you did, I'd say that I was sold, but I'm having my doubts as I saw reference to Nikon as well.

Anyways, your baby boy is adorable - and nothing surpasses baby photos, nothing.

awww...thanx.
    no, i hate to tell you, they were taken with the nikon d80. lol
    the sd800 is our happy snaps camera. it goes everywhere with us, we love the little P&S.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr