Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

S3 IS - How to best convert AVI to mpeg2?

I bought an S3 a month or so ago to take to Japan on a trip. Mightily impressed I have to say.

I took quite a bit of video [bought some 4Gb SD cards on ebay], set at the highest setting 640x480 - 30 fps.

Can anyone please suggest the best way to convert the avi to mpeg 2. I am in Australia. We use the PAL system, 720 x 540.

I used TMPEnc on a sample but it took ages to complete. I am surprised there isn't software with the camera!

Anyway, all suggestions gratefully accepted.

If anyone has any constructive suggestions it would be appreciated.

I have been using Movie Maker to make clips I can upload to an image hosting website so I can share with friends, but the quality of course is fairly basic.

What I am looking for now is a quality converter so I can turn my avi movies into DVD's. Any advance on TMPEnc, or is that is good and as fast as I will get?

Thanks

Exclamation

Russel...I've used TMPGEnc when converting home videos created on MovieMaker to MPG...and although it is time consuming (and depends on your PC's processor/memory power), the results are worth it.

Another option to look at....requires some $$$.

There are now DVD recorders available which have built in HDD's which make the whole conversion process piss easy. Simply copy your video from camera onto the HDD, edit, split as required....and then burn directly to DVD (no conversion on your PC required).

As an example, "no name" models can be purchased for less than $300 in Australia and if you currently have a video camera, you can use the same method for transferring all your tapes to DVD.

Like I said, just another option to consider.

Gaza

Thanks for the replies. I actually have a Pioneer HDD recorder - never thought of it as an option! Read up the instructions, plugged in the AV connectors and recorded it straight to the hard drive. Thanks fo rthat.

As a matter of interest, the final result is indistinguishable from the TMPGEnc method in quality, though it is about 4 times faster on the Pioneer.

i too use TMPGEnc, best thing ever for videos =D
    Nikon D80 + TAmROn 17-50mm f/2.8
    - Sandisk 2GB Extreme III SD Card
    - Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home

- had Canon PowerShot S3 IS

For some of my shots:http://flickr.com/photos/truflip/

As a matter of interest I was flicking through a local Oz magazine today at the newsagent . I think it was PC User. Anyway, it has a section on DVD burning and video editing. Not much of interest except that there is a small section on turning still camera video to DVD and it uses the S3 as an example.

Interestingly, the article criticises Canon for using the optimum video format for NTSC without an optimum format for PAL, such as we use in Australia. The article suggests that converting the avi to PAL compliant mpeg [which is what I have done with TMPGEnc] is incredibly slow because of the conversion from 30fps back to 25fps etc. I must say I have found using TMPGEnc to do this takes about 4 x real time - quite laborious; whereas the DVD recorder does it in real time.

The article suggests a better and faster result can be obtained by converting the avi to NTSC compliant mpeg2 and creating your DVD from that with an editing programme. While you end up with an NTSC DVD the article says most dvd players and TV's here in Australia can play that anyway.

Has anyone tried that and, if so, can you comment on the result? Thanks

my comment: yes most DVD players and TV's nowadays (anywhere in the world) have both NTSC and PAL. so i dont see a reason to bother converting PAL (unlesss u still have a PAL only set up)
    Nikon D80 + TAmROn 17-50mm f/2.8
    - Sandisk 2GB Extreme III SD Card
    - Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home

- had Canon PowerShot S3 IS

For some of my shots:http://flickr.com/photos/truflip/

converting avi to mpeg

I use the Ulead 10+ Video Studio..It works well
    AmiMaija

Rebel Xsi 450D, Canon 18-55mm IS, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon EFS 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8.
    Promaster 5550 flash and 300 series, Gary Fong puffer and Lightsphere deluxe kit.

Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.

PowerShot S5 IS

http://prophotoannebrown.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amimaija/collections/

Arnt you glad for all these different types of video formats and file types and stuff? it makes everything so much fun!

<< looks left
    >> looks right

shhh dont tell mac users, they will make a commercial about it.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.