Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

S3 IS - How to best convert AVI to mpeg2?

I bought an S3 a month or so ago to take to Japan on a trip. Mightily impressed I have to say.

I took quite a bit of video [bought some 4Gb SD cards on ebay], set at the highest setting 640x480 - 30 fps.

Can anyone please suggest the best way to convert the avi to mpeg 2. I am in Australia. We use the PAL system, 720 x 540.

I used TMPEnc on a sample but it took ages to complete. I am surprised there isn't software with the camera!

Anyway, all suggestions gratefully accepted.

If anyone has any constructive suggestions it would be appreciated.

I have been using Movie Maker to make clips I can upload to an image hosting website so I can share with friends, but the quality of course is fairly basic.

What I am looking for now is a quality converter so I can turn my avi movies into DVD's. Any advance on TMPEnc, or is that is good and as fast as I will get?

Thanks

Exclamation

Russel...I've used TMPGEnc when converting home videos created on MovieMaker to MPG...and although it is time consuming (and depends on your PC's processor/memory power), the results are worth it.

Another option to look at....requires some $$$.

There are now DVD recorders available which have built in HDD's which make the whole conversion process piss easy. Simply copy your video from camera onto the HDD, edit, split as required....and then burn directly to DVD (no conversion on your PC required).

As an example, "no name" models can be purchased for less than $300 in Australia and if you currently have a video camera, you can use the same method for transferring all your tapes to DVD.

Like I said, just another option to consider.

Gaza

Thanks for the replies. I actually have a Pioneer HDD recorder - never thought of it as an option! Read up the instructions, plugged in the AV connectors and recorded it straight to the hard drive. Thanks fo rthat.

As a matter of interest, the final result is indistinguishable from the TMPGEnc method in quality, though it is about 4 times faster on the Pioneer.

i too use TMPGEnc, best thing ever for videos =D
    Nikon D80 + TAmROn 17-50mm f/2.8
    - Sandisk 2GB Extreme III SD Card
    - Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home

- had Canon PowerShot S3 IS

For some of my shots:http://flickr.com/photos/truflip/

it depent on video resolution which your device can support and you want,you can convet avi to mpeg2 .Here is a tips:how to convert avi to mpeg2!

yea, I guess that you can use some converter tool.