Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

sharing full res files.

Hey, how do you guys share full res files online?
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

What are your intentions with sharing full res ?

I post 100% crops... but i don't think i've ever put a full res file online.
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    Hey, how do you guys share full res files online?
    If it's for viewing only I upload it to my Imageevent.com account and share the link. If I want somebody to download the file I put it on my website and setup a ftp account for them to download it.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Yeah, I want to share full res files over the net. I'll take pictures of my friends kids and I'd like to just be able to have a place that they can download the pictures instead of putting them on CD.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

+1 what D said:

I'd do it over a personal site that you own, and maybe password that directory.

You might think, well theres no biggie if i just put them public, but if someone else takes those photos and uses them to perhaps ill conceived purposes that the parents would not approve of, the blame would be on you, since you put them online.

So take some measures to make sure where the files are going, so if something does goes wrong you can personally handle it quickly and without hassles

Personally i don't own any site big enough to host full res pics I just put a gallery of web sized with numbers, and they e-mail me the numbers they want, and i e-mail them the full res.

But generally i get big requests so a dvd is easier to do.
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    Yeah, I want to share full res files over the net. I'll take pictures of my friends kids and I'd like to just be able to have a place that they can download the pictures instead of putting them on CD.
    A Flickr Pro account would let you do that (US$25 per year unlimited storage). You can restrict who can access the account and who can download if you want to keep things private.

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    A Flickr Pro account would let you do that (US$25 per year unlimited storage). You can restrict who can access the account and who can download if you want to keep things private.
    cool, I was looking at Flickr but it wasn't clear if it would do what I wanted it to.

I'd rather not do the whole website thing. I don't really care for the hastle of learning how to do a website properly.

I used to have an exposure manager site that let me upload full res files but it was 100 bucks a year and I didn't use it enough to justify the expense.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0