Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Nikkor 50mm 1.8 aperture question

I have a D50 and just purchased the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 a/f lens for some portrait stuff. Obviously I should be able to manually adjust the aperture via the ring on the lens.. however whenever I unlock the ring and move from 22, I get a blinking EE message on the camera body status screen and I can't fire off any photos. This will happen in any shooting mode including P A S and M. I can manually adjust the aperture on the body down to 1.8 and the camera shoots fine, but I can't adjust it from the lens ring. Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?
    Last edited by Papa Nick; 10-06-2006 at 12:57 PM.

You are not supposed to use the aperture ring, that is used for older film DSLRs, it is there to keep the lens compatible with the older cameras. Just keep it at f22, and use the body controls to set the aperture.

So, basically, what you are doing wrong is trying to use the aperture ring .
    Last edited by coldrain; 10-06-2006 at 01:45 PM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Hehe.. I just found that information on another site a few minutes ago too. I guess I should have researched some more before buying it. If I shoot on aperture priority then the command dial does the aperture anyway, so I guess in the end it's not really such a big deal and is still really easy to adjust.

Thanks for your help!