Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

How do you do that?

I've seen pictures where people say they setup "rigs". Or to make moving shots when the car is still, like the wheels will be moving and everything as if the car is in motion, but it's actually still. Anyone know how to do this? Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Motion blur in PhotoShop.

hey.. another thing, it doesn't look like he is still either- his RPMs look like he's idling and the shot is long exposure, so the car IS moving, just at a *REALLY* slow speed. Idle speed. Less than five miles per hour. He's probably in a parking lot of a closed store. the exposure was probably set at 1 second or hreater.. my guess would be 1 second, but i could be wrong.

Motion blur in photoshop would achieve the same thing, but if he did thath, there'd be no need to have his engine actually running as you can see from the tach. and his speed isn't at 0 either.
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

seems to be engine on
    0 speed on the speedometer, or just near?
    about 1,200 rpm on the tachometer, which is above idle 800rpm
    wheels turning ?

Riley
    Last edited by Riley; 09-27-2006 at 01:06 PM.

Front curtain + long exposure would be my guess. The camera is probably mounted via a rig. You can see that the parking light is on, so what he did was most likely fire off the camera, dropped the parking breaks, and started turning in circles. As for why you don't see the needles moving, it's probably because he turned off the dashboard lights.

Edit: Actually.. you can see the tach needle move a little.
    Nikon D80 w/ Grip
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
    Quantaray 28-90mm f/3.5-5.6

Photography Monthly just had an article about how shots like this are done, specifically about Lotus and their latest car brochure pictures.

The Lotus photographer used 15 second exposures, and a guy pushing the car slowly across the parking lot.... and then 8 hours or something of PS work to remove the rigging, etc.
    My best pics on Flickr

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/garysimmons
    Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/GarySimmonsPhotography

Gear: Canon 60D, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC II, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC, Sigma 120-400 DG OS. 1 430EX, 1 430EXII, 1 580EXII, ST-E2, Manfrotto 190XPROB (soon to be replaced by the carbon version)
    Plus filters, wireless triggers and other junk...

or you can buy a suction camera mount and a remote shutter release for the camera and actually get the shot on the move, like all the shots you see in car mags
    Canon 350D l EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au

suction cup would put a little fear in me. I think I was Manfrotto had one that clipped on the window.
    UPS drivers should wear red and white like Santa!!