Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Medical Photography

i am a surgeon and essentially take intra-operative photos and pictures of resected specimens.
    I was using an old 3.2 megapixel panasonic camera, but now would like to upgrade.i wanted to know which type ( resolution/ megapixel) is ideal for medical photography.
    what i need is a camera which takes good pictures under OR lights.
    what happens most of the time is that if you use the flash its too bright and if you don't its too dark.
    another problem i found was that due to the blood in the operative field the pictures would become reddish.
    is there any specific model anyone can suggest.
    i haven't decided a budget but under $500 ( Rs. 25,000 INR) would be fine.
    most of the photos would be used for presentation and publications.
    Also since most publications, (i presume) require a minimum of 150 x 150 dpi resolution what is the minimum specification that i can go for?i also would be using this for taking family picture.
    your advice would be of great help
    thanks

The Fuji Finepix F20, F30, or possibly the F31fd would serve really well here. Nice large, high quality pictures with the ability to shoot in lower light without a flash. It also fits very nicely into your budget ($300-$400 USD depending on the model you choose).

The Canon A620 (can't remember the new one off the top of my head... A630 or A640) might not be a bad choice. Nice quality pictures, although it won't take as well in low light as the ISO is much more limited than the Fuji. The Canon Elph 700IS might be a good camera as well due to it's small size and image stabilization technology.

The best choice for high quality photos in a wide variety of lighting conditions is the Fuji F30 (and F31fd).

$0.02
    Only after disaster can we be resurected. It's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything. Nothing is static, everything is evolving, everything is falling apart.

hi mindbender
    thanks for the help
    would an SLR be of any extra benefit? and can get an SLR on this budget
    thanks

would an SLR be of any extra benefit? and can get an SLR on this budget
    Yes, it would... but to get one worth it's salt... you'd be talking about a higher budget. You could get one for under $500... but it probably wouldn't gain you much in quality over the F30. Starting in the $600-700 USD range you could get a decent intro DSLR setup (including the body, lens, memory card). Honesly though, the F30 takes very high quality photos.

What you might consider is going to someplace that has reviews, like the review section of this site, and compare some different cameras. This site has some excellent reviews that do direct photo for photo comparisons so you can get a real idea of what each camera is capable of. You could compare the F30 to something like the Nikon D50 or Canon Rebel Xseries cameras (close but above your budget) to see if the difference is really noticible to you. Possibly someone else around here can suggest something I haven't thought of also, there are some nice budget cameras out there... but from what I've seen, a lot of the DSLRs in that price range aren't any better quality images than the F30... although the one major advantage they might give you is RAW mode processing... which has more overall colors to work with.
    Only after disaster can we be resurected. It's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything. Nothing is static, everything is evolving, everything is falling apart.

if you think about what a medical photographer does, you would have to conclude that a dSLR and ring flash would be a better choice. Olympus actually put out a kit for medical photography, but it costs way more than you are willing to part with.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/oai_pr...sp?pressNo=129

however, since you seem to be some sort of economical surgeon I think the F30 is probably a good choice, infact Fuji are getting into all sorts of forensic medical and law enforcement needs of late, but more with the larger digitals like the Fuji S3 Pro.

Riley
    Last edited by Riley; 10-01-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Hi mindbender & riley
    Thanks for the help.
    Though I have thought about the F30 as you have suggested I am also willing to extend my budget. The Nikon D50 does look good.
    Thanks again

welcome
    ive a feeling it will be as much about technique as it is the technicaly feasable
    might be an idea to research some of that

Riley