Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon SD700IS vs Sony T10?

Comparing these two cameras for basic point and shoot for casual outings and the odd formal event. Both of which could be indoor or outdoor events. Also, I mainly print out 4x6's, and maybe the odd 5x7 or just view them on my computer.

I can get the T10 for $100CAD less, but I'm still unsure if I will notice a difference in image quality since both (I believe) use the same Sony 1/2.5" sensor.

Here's my list of Pros for each camera:

Sony
    -Cheaper (about 20% or so)
    -Much thinner (smaller)
    -Battery meter (big pet peeve that Canon doesn't include this by now!)
    -Higher resolution screen (230K vs 173K)
    -Slightly better marco mode
    -ISO 1000 (vs 800)
    -7.2MP (vs 6MP)... not a big deal to me though

Canon
    -4x Optical zoom (vs 3x)
    -SD memory
    -Faster lens
    -Optical viewfinder

Both have Image Stabilization, something I really wanted, so that's a draw.

Which would you recommend based on my needs and the feature set? would there be a noticeable difference in image quality? Is it worth the extra money and bulk to go with the SD700IS?

What is a battery meter? What are the actual $ prices you can get? I thought these two cams cost about the same now.

Quote Originally Posted by bascom View Post
    What is a battery meter? What are the actual $ prices you can get? I thought these two cams cost about the same now.
    Battery life meter, much like that on a cell phone... it tells you how much battery life you have left. On the Canon, it only warns you when the battery is really low.

For the prices, I'm in Canada, and that's why the difference is probably larger. Apprx. $500 for the SD700 and $400 for the T10.

i am in canada too. where can you get T10 for $400? btw. SD800is is coming out next month, i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue604 View Post
    i am in canada too. where can you get T10 for $400? btw. SD800is is coming out next month, i believe.
    Sorry for the late reply... but The Sony Store gave it to me for $400 ($50 off). I tried it out, but ended up returning it. I liked the fact that it was nice and compact, but I found the lens very slow and I wasn't really a fan of the sliding cover.

I ended up going for the SD700IS... got if for $439 and a $50 gift card from Best Buy. Great deal imo... and the camera is great all around.