Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K100, Xt, D80?

K100, Xt, D80?

Hi there, I am a graphic designer jumping out in the world of photography. I've been researching for months now for the "perfect" dSLR to meet my needs, and I think I've narrowed my choices down. I'm looking at the low to high entry-level SLRs. The majority of my photographs will be a sort of "lifestyle" photography of children in their homes. Catching those "natural moments" so to speak. I will also have opportunities to shoot at weddings as the "b shooter or creative shooter," taking mainly behind the scene shots.

I realize that a great lens (and of course the person behind the camera) has more to do with the quality of the photograph than the body of the camera. However, with cameras acting as computers these days, it seems that the body plays a pretty important role as well. Since I'm starting from scratch without a collection of lenses it kind of makes my decision more dizzy-ing. With all the choices out there I get hung up on LCD size, dust reduction features, and image stabilization features.

So if anyone is still reading this and wants to read on, here's a list of my main considerations.

Image StabiIization ... I realize that the IS won't help with my moving subjects (kids), but I'm sure it's a nice feature to have around and not have to pay the big bucks for in a lens. Also it could help with lower light wedding situations.

The dust reduction ... How important is this? It's obviously an issue since it seems a pre-req for all the lastest greatest SLRs coming out now. However, is it that BIG of an issue? How do those of you who don't have dust reduction features on your SLRs feel about it? How those of you who now own an SLR with the dust reduction feature. Is it worth it to you?

If IS and dust removal wasn't available I would probably lean towards the Rebel XT for its snappy performance and great images with the 8 MP. Plus, it's ability to upgrade to a professional level camera should I desire to go that route in the future. I prefer the smaller size of the XT and like how it feels in my hand. However, that little LCD gets me hung up everytime. I've had the chance to use my friend's a couple of times and realize I could get used to it. But with bigger LCDs out there ... (I had considered the XTi, but have read some non-flattering reviews on the image quality degrading ... )

Or ... if IS and dust removal is not an issue for me and I want a larger LCD then the Nikon D80 sounds very nice. Same snappy performace, larger LCD than the XT, great picture quality. Plus I like the 2nd info screen. I've held the D50 and like it's grip as well though it's a little heavier than the XT. I am assuming the D80 is similar.

Then I head off into Pentax-land. I've leaned more towards the Pentax K100 for its price and great images. Those that are on par with Canons Rebel at higher ISOs. Also, the larger LCD and anti-shake in the body is a plus. However, I've read that it can have a hard time auto-focusing in low-light situations. I'm wondering how low is low-light? As I mentioned, I will be taking a majority of my photographs of kids indoors (in homes) during the day. And will also have opportunities to shoot at some weddings. Does anyone have any experience with this with the K100 and its auto focusing capabilities? Another negative is the 6 MP and also at this time the K10 D being it's only "professional" model out there as far as the upgrade path goes.

This then leads me to the Pentax K 10 D that will be arriving in November. Of course, it seems like the camera that has it all Plus, I am hoping that whatever low-light issues the K100 may have, this will be fixed. And of course I won't know that until a review comes out right? Which then extends the agony of my research even longer And same upgradeable camera body thoughts, in case I dedicate myself to this line of lenses. However, if they are comparing this next to the D200 and Canons D-30 (?) then, I may not ever be upgrading past those lines anyway.

By the way, I've tested out the Sony. And although I loved all the features, I wasn't found of the grip at all. So I ruled that one out.

Okay, so now you can probably see why I've made this out to be such a complicated decision. I'd love any input others may have. Or if anyone has more questions for me to help me narrow down what's most important.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Hmm... haven't you noticed that the XT has been followed up by the XTi, that has 10mp and a bigger better display?
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

yes, thanks for the reply. I really like the 2nd info panel of the XT and other cameras I mentioned. And by the CNET review the image quality as supposedly lessoned from the XT. I haven't seen the proof in pics, just one review. By that review if pushed me to look at the D80. Again, not sure if IS or dust reduction is that big of an issue.

Pretend you didn't read the CNET review. CNET reviews are rubbish, full of untruths and often show they do not have an idea what they are doing, and sometimes even it shows they are not testing but pretend to do so.

Do not worry about the image quality of the XTi. It is fine. A better source of info is dpreview on this moment. They for instance show that the XTi is better at higher ISOs than the D80, something CNET claims to be very different.
    The D80 filters noise much more, and losing detail in the process. That is why they D80 seemingly has less noise than the D200 too, they both have the same sensor.

Anyway, to make a long story short, just ignore CNET. If you like the 2nd display (I personally cant care less, seeing how the XTi's display functions), then just scratch it from your list. The Pentax K10D has to prove itself yet image quality wise, and till then the XTi is my favorite.

IS can be handy, especially when light gets low and you have a static subject, or with tele shots always. But with teleshots the XTi offers a very affordable 70-300 IS USM with optical performance that is hard to match on Nikon and Pentax, and then it has IS... So, it still depends on what lenses you choose if in camera IS is a plus or not.

Dust can be annoying and needs to be cleaned off. This is not hard to do thought. So teh dust removal system is a convenience, less of a necessity.
    Last edited by coldrain; 09-30-2006 at 02:27 PM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    Do not worry about the image quality of the XTi. It is fine. A better source of info is dpreview on this moment. They for instance show that the XTi is better at higher ISOs than the D80, something CNET claims to be very different.
    The D80 filters noise much more, and losing detail in the process.
    You'd be amazed at how much detail is there in BOTH camera's. To say the XTi performs better is sort of like saying a 10.02 second horse is faster than a 9.98 second horse lol...people post things like this and it gets blown out of proportions to such an extreme...it's sad.

The difference is extremely small and the D80 has so much more to offer in other areas. If small size is a benefit to the OP, then ya...go for the XTi. I guess my priorities lie in different areas though...

The difference isn't "that small", you notice it in every higher ISO photo from the D80. Whether it is important to you or not is another matter.

And this is about how worthless CNET (and its reviews) is, not about whether or not the D80 is a good camera (it is).

CNET claims the XTi is not good at all from ISO 400 and up. They say the D80 is less noisy. Facts are that that is just not the case, and that is what my post is about. So you can stop trying to defend your precious Nikon, I am not attacking it.
    Last edited by coldrain; 10-01-2006 at 02:00 PM.

If you gave blind monkeys cameras to test, they'd do a better job than CNET.

Camera after camera, they often come to the opposite conclusion of real review sites such as DCRP, dpreview and Steve's. Plus, the user comments are always wildly at odds with their reviews. They miss features, misreport or misunderstand features and appear to have no objective, standardized method of testing whatsoever. They just hand someone a camera and say "write a review". The resulting reviews appear as merely the reports of totally random subjective experiences of people who barely have a clue.
    Last edited by JTL; 10-02-2006 at 10:50 AM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

That's too bad, because CNET seems to be a big/popular website a lot of people read.

thanks everyone for your opinions.

coldrain ... i noticed in your info that you own the Sigma 18-50mm/2.8 lens. Is that a good piece of glass? I've barely ventured into researching lenses yet, but know that the third party lenses are often cheaper. I'll be looking for a lens with that type of aperature all the way through the zoom. Just curious about your thoughts on it.

Also I was wondering what you thought about the 350 XT (or XTi) holding some of the bigger lenses. I read somewhere someone who had a Rebel 300 and they mentioned gaps where the lens fit onto the camera. I'm sure there's some structural differences b/w the 300 and the 400, but since the Rebels are known for being small and light I was curious what you thought about that too since you own the XT.

thanks!!

Yes, the 18-50 f2.8 EX DC is a good piece of glass, but a follow up has been introduced this photokina, and will be available in october. This new one is better, with some better optical elements and a "macro mode".
    Also good in this segment is the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Di II.
    On an XTi they will perform better than on an XT, because the XTi has a better, more reliable AF system.

About bigger lenses, there is no problem at all with the XT/XTi (350D/400D) with bigger lenses, and there is no "gap" between lens and camera, not even with a 300D. People use a 70-200 f2.8 or a Sigma 50-500 without problem on an XT/XTi.