Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,162

    Why dont they put a rotating flash head on these cameras?

    Somthing as simple as a bit of cardboard with foil on the top can turn a dull shot into a really good one just by bouncing the flash off the ceiling.

    Look at the difference, the bounce flash looks so much better. All i did was put foil over cardboard and hold it infront of the stock S2 flash and it toatly makes the shot better.




    I guess these are the things Daniel and JTL know because they have learned it over the years of shooting.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,162
    This is all i used.



    Taken with an A540 with bounce flash on the flash of it also.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio.
    Posts
    1,222
    Nice effect! i'm still struggling with the flash diffuser though! I can't quite get my flash shots right! Once i get the diffuser down and get those flash shots right, i'll start experimenting with this mirror idea. but can you post some pix showing how well these light a room? Say.. your subject is on the other side of the room? thanks!
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

    Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,162
    The second shot is P mode with the flash and the ev cranked to +2

    distance is about 5 feet
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    42
    That last post says a lot -- your original post says "all I did was . . ." when in fact you also adjusted your camera so that 1) the flash emitted more light and 2) the camera collected more light.

    These are important things to remember whenever anything such as a diffuser or reflector are used.

    Flash value and exposure value may well need to be adjusted to account for the fact that the flash's light isn't all going where the camera expects it to be.

    Thanks for sharing this idea with us -- that reflector looks like it can fit right in the camera bag along with the camera, making it a very tempting accessory.

    Certainly affordable!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,163
    That A series looks really funny with that extender lens on it.
    Ouch.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,610
    it looks so gangstarr with that extender on it.. the S2 tho. hmm is it blinding when the flash goes off? thats like taking self pictures with the flash right in ur face.. it hurts.. n u see purple rectangles for the next 5-10 mintues...
    ...................
    Nikon D80 + TAmROn 17-50mm f/2.8
    - Sandisk 2GB Extreme III SD Card
    - Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home

    - had Canon PowerShot S3 IS

    For some of my shots:http://flickr.com/photos/truflip/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,162
    Quote Originally Posted by truflip View Post
    it looks so gangstarr with that extender on it.. the S2 tho. hmm is it blinding when the flash goes off? thats like taking self pictures with the flash right in ur face.. it hurts.. n u see purple rectangles for the next 5-10 mintues...
    lol, gangstarr

    Quote Originally Posted by truflip View Post
    it looks so gangstarr with that extender on it.. the S2 tho. hmm is it blinding when the flash goes off? thats like taking self pictures with the flash right in ur face.. it hurts.. n u see purple rectangles for the next 5-10 mintues...
    I dont notice it, i started closing my eyes when i start messing with flash.

    Some of the adaptors block the flash and on my A70 i have one an in order to get good flash i have to put it on max. A few times ive seen little streams of smoke come from the flash after it poped. Im worried it may fail soon or somthing so i dont max it out anymore. That camera is getting kinda old anyway. I have no idea how many actual shots its even taken but i bet its alot.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,162
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
    That last post says a lot -- your original post says "all I did was . . ." when in fact you also adjusted your camera so that 1) the flash emitted more light and 2) the camera collected more light.

    These are important things to remember whenever anything such as a diffuser or reflector are used.

    Flash value and exposure value may well need to be adjusted to account for the fact that the flash's light isn't all going where the camera expects it to be.

    Thanks for sharing this idea with us -- that reflector looks like it can fit right in the camera bag along with the camera, making it a very tempting accessory.

    Certainly affordable!
    True but the point is the S2 has all the settings you need with just some cardboard and foil i dont even need a $300. canon 540EX slave flash now to get the same effect. I understand what the ev is doing and what boosting the flash is doing but when you use a slave flash your doing almost the same thing.

    When you bounce the flash it needs more power because its not a direct path to the subject.

    If the little flash had a swivel it wouldnt need the reflector and may not require as much power. It would help with redeye also.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,163
    Quote Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
    True but the point is the S2 has all the settings you need with just some cardboard and foil i dont even need a $300. canon 540EX slave flash now to get the same effect. I understand what the ev is doing and what boosting the flash is doing but when you use a slave flash your doing almost the same thing.

    When you bounce the flash it needs more power because its not a direct path to the subject.

    If the little flash had a swivel it wouldnt need the reflector and may not require as much power. It would help with redeye also.
    That's good cuz there ain't such a thing.
    Ouch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •