Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

sickzack Guest

need advice on camera to take stills of skateboard tricks.

hi.. i dont know the first thing about what makes a good digital camera.. basically my requirements are that i want to be able to capture a skateboard in mid flip with some clarity... also i want to take some artistic pictures such as the lights of the freeway moving behind a subject you know with the blurry carlights thing... things like that.. i dont know what the minimum budget is for a camera like that.. features are nice too, but i dont have 1000 bucks to spend or anything i just want to get into photography a little bit..

any advice is appreciated, im starting from the bottom here...
    thanks

Here is your challenge: there are basically two types of digital cameras- DSLRs and what are refered to as digicams or point and shoot. DSLRs are the bigger cameras you see with changeable lenses.

One of the biggest downsides to digicams is something called shutterlag. This is where you get the picture in the viewfinder or LCD just as you'd like it, press the shutter, and then the camera pauses a bit before snapping the photo. Your subject at the time of exposure was not where it was when you pressed the shutter.

Even with a used DSLR you are going to be spending $600+ for an entry level camera and lens. If that isn't in your budget, then you need to make do with a digicam such as the Canon S3IS. This is an excellent camera with 12x zoom for less than $350! The only issue you will have with this when taking photos of a moving subject is getting used to pressing the shutter in advance of when the subject is framed as you'd like it.

*An extra benefit of a digicam such as the Canon S3IS is that it also has the ability to shoot video!

Hey! I understand your pain and the previous poster was right, your options are pretty much either buy a DSLR which once you learn it, will be able to do the job with ease- OR spend a LOT LESS money and buy an Ultra Zoom for less than 350. From what you're describing it doesn't sound like you're deep enough into photography to A. understand how to use a DSLR or B. Spend that much on a camera. I own an S3 IS and it is an exceptional, easy to learn camera.

My girlfriend does Olympic Sparring Tae Kwon Do and so i take pictures of matches and getting a picture of a kick is just as hard i'm sure, as capturing a skateboard trick. You just have to learn the limitations of your camera and work around those limitations. If i'm outdoors (like at an outdoor skate park) I have a pretty keen sense of when something is going to happen and just take the picture- the S3 has a continuous shooting mode, so out of one kick i will usually get one a little ways up, one at full kick and one coming back down. I just pick the best of the three and (the full kick) and delete the rest.

This may be something you could use for skate pictures. Such as, you know someone is going to probably do a trick when they're heading up a halfpipe, just start shooting and hold the shutter button and it will take pictures at 1.3 a second. It isn't the most efficient way of doing things- but i believe it's more cost effective than buying a used 600 dollar DSLR camera. It's all up to you though!

S3 IS. Here''s an action shot for ya:

Stick with an ultra zoom like the S3 or S2, i think you'll be happier and less stressed out that way.

Goodluck!
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

Nice photograph and attractive girlfriend.... I'm just not sure I'd ever want to date someone who could kick my as@

Here is a link to a thread with other photographs all taken with the S3IS http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21728

Haha Rich.. we spar all the time and fortunately enough- I can catch every kick she throws So she's yet to land one.
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

I have some pics from this weekend of skaters and BMX will post tonight
    Canon 350D l EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au