Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

How to set AEB on my new S2? (and intro)

I just moved up from an A70 to the S2 and am pleased to see in the reviews that it has AEB. I was thinking earlier today that that was one of the four essential features on my wish list and I forgot to check that out. (I was getting overwhelmed comparing the various Panasonics and the new S3 and all the price options. The others incljuded manual flash (the A70 drove be nuts, resetting to default flash on when I was in an environment where flash was inappropriate) and at least 10x. I would have liked black or dark gray, but the s3 wasn't worth an extra hundred bucks for my needs. Since I post most of my photos on my website and rarely print, the A70's 3 megapixels was really more than enough. The thing that conviced me to go with the Canon instead of the Panasonic was the fact that it could use standard double As in an emergency. That was my fourth essential.

But I remember the A70 tended to over expose, but not always.

So, my first question is how do I set and use AEB?

Visit my albums at http://LGrossman.com/albums/
    Beginning with the Israel trip in 2004, I was using the A70. Before that an Olympus Stylus film point and shoot. I am also beginning to create some albums from glass slides from the 1920's but that'll take me a while.

I hope to have some shots from the S2 online soon.

Len

just use the func button, to get to the function options and turn it on. It's the one that says off. That's it, the camera will do the rest. hth
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

The only thing that cuks about AEB is that it takes 3 seperate shots. You have to wait for it to shoot each one. If you were wanting to layer a shot using the 3 shots you will need a fixed subject and a tripod.

When you set the camera to use AEB your telling the camera to do what? over exspose 1 shot, under exspose 1 shot and shoot one normal. So i dont understand why it needs 3 seperate shots. It should be able to do all that internaly from the one single shot.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

Actually, I want the camera to give me three choices. If I trusted it to make the rigfht exposure in the first place, why should I want it to layer three shots to get back to where it should have started.

Len

BTW: Can I set a shortcut to turn AEB on and off. Obviously there are many times when I won't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by modemjunkie View Post
    Actually, I want the camera to give me three choices. If I trusted it to make the rigfht exposure in the first place, why should I want it to layer three shots to get back to where it should have started.

Len

BTW: Can I set a shortcut to turn AEB on and off. Obviously there are many times when I won't need it.
    I did not say use it in conjunction with auto as for the rest of your comment you lost me... your original question only asked how to...

Quote Originally Posted by modemjunkie View Post
    So, my first question is how do I set and use AEB?
    ... why you presume someone should understand by your question how you want it to work is beyond me... The camera is giving you more than three choices so I fail to understand what your complaint is in reference to.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Quote Originally Posted by XaiLo View Post
    I did not say use it in conjunction with auto as for the rest of your comment you lost me... your original question only asked how to...

... why you presume someone should understand by your question how you want it to work is beyond me... The camera is giving you more than three choices so I fail to understand what your complaint is in reference to.
    Sorry if I was not clear. I would use AEB in lieu of auto but only in situations when I think the camera is likely to over or under expose. From past history with my A70, I remember that if I tried to compensate by changing my settings, I sometimes under exposed, and sometimes I over exposed. So when it comes to those kinds of lighting situations I like the idea of bracketing. Yes, this camera gives me more than three choices or modes or exposure levels, but what I meant by wanting three choices was was the ability to chose thie image I prefer from three separate images, which is what bracketing without layering gives me. I don't think I was complaining, I was praising.

I think I did figure out how to permanently set AEB in P mode, now. My only complaint, if there was one, was that I would like to have left P on auto at -1/3 and be able to turn AEB on and off with the shortcut button fore those rare occaisions when I want to take three shots. But AEB is not one of the functions that can be short-cut.

Len
    Now to see if I damaged anything when I dropped it from nearly shoulder height in an unpadded fanny pack tonight.