Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Nikon D50 Questions and Comments

I recently purchased a Nikon D50. I planned to take it on a trip in a few days. I was just going to put it on automatic and shoot with my 50 mm lens. Well, I took it out today and did a few shots with it on automatic and the photos were so washed out. They were awful. Tell me it will get better!!! I guess you can't just put it on automatic and shoot without going through and fix all the settings before you shoot and I don't have time for that. I was having trouble with my Sony 717 with the Zeiss lens so I purchased the new Nikon. Does anyone know of a quick way to set everything so I can shoot on automatic. I put my Sony 717 on automatic and the photos were outstanding. I do not like the way Nikon downloads the photos into my computer either - Sony's is so much better. Someone tell me I did not buy a lemon.

That is a huge query.

Auto mode is sometimes called "waiter" mode as in the mode you use when you give the camera to somebody as say point it at us and push that button. You should at least read the manuals and learn a bit about S, A and M which are probably the three modes most often used by D50 owners.
    What 50mm lens do you have?
    I'm surprised about the washed out comment as the D50 has a reputation for well saturated colour. The default colour mode is IIIa, maybe you have changed to one of the less saturated modes.
    The best way to download is not to connect the camera to the PC but to use a card reader and take the card out of the camera.
    I suggest that you have a look at Thom Hogans site (www.bythom.com) and consider buying a copy of his D50 e-book it will give you a much better overview of the camera than the manual does and also many helpful hints about photography and settings to use.
    It is extremely unlikely that you have a lemon. Go to Flickr and look at the photos on any of the D50 based groups and you will see what the camera is capable of.

I am using a 50 mm Nikon lens. I have two Nikon film cameras and several Nikon AF lens and that is why I bought this camera. I can see that it is not so easily operated as my old Sony. I will study all the settings later but was hoping I could use it this weekend and I was hoping for a quick fix. Thanks for the link you sent to me.

Was the exposure compensation set on a positive value like +1.0? If you could post the shots, maybe someone can give you better information as to the problem. It really is a great camera, I hope you can enjoy it soon.

Regards,

Bob

Yes, it does sound weird. The D50 is known for vivid and very good photos out of camera. Post some downscaled examples to show us what you see.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

I am sending you copy of my washed out photo via e-mail. I can't seem to get my photo here.