Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

what's a high end digital still with good video?

hey guys, first post.

i'm looking into to getting a camera soon, i've used a canon 300D before (which i loved) but i think i'd rather get something that can do video

i would prefer something with

speed (i can't stand cameras that have log lag times, is there even any non D-SLRs that can take speedy shots)
    good video quality (as well as photos of course)
    mechanically driven zoom
    the same for focus (or at least focus ring)

well anyway, i just want to know what my options are
    Last edited by godzilla; 09-03-2006 at 11:02 AM.

That's a tough list of features.

I think you might be looking at a Panasonic FZ30/FZ50 or a Fuji9100. I think there is also a Samsung with manual zoom/focus rings, but I dont know that line really well.

Loads of people complain about image noise on the Pannys, but I've found that at 8x10, most people cant tell the difference, unless they whip out an 8x loupe and start getting really picky. I know loads of very satisfied Panasonic users, but the Fuji is also a great camera. I like that it supports a regular cable release... loads cheaper if you plan on doing long exposures with a tripod.

As always, your best bet is to take some test shots with each, handle them, compare ergonomics, etc.
    Nikon D200 + MBD200
    Nikkor 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8,
    300mm f/4.

the Canon S3 IS has best inclass video mode quality with stereo sound trust me it makes a LOT of difference esp at concerts and parties.

its does well all aroound and as far as i know it meets all your requirements

speed (i can't stand cameras that have log lag times, is there even any non D-SLRs that can take speedy shots)
    good video quality (as well as photos of course)
    mechanically driven zoom
    the same for focus (or at least focus ring)
    Nikon D80 + TAmROn 17-50mm f/2.8
    - Sandisk 2GB Extreme III SD Card
    - Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home

- had Canon PowerShot S3 IS

For some of my shots:http://flickr.com/photos/truflip/

i like the canon cause it's small cheap and looks good quality (feels well made as well) but the zoom is electronically driven and i really can't stand that, i think focal length is a really important part of composition and should have an intuitive control, the electronic zooms leave me really uninspired and the manual focus on the canon leaves much to be desired.
    i had a look at the fuji, and i was very impressed by it's price/features but the build felt a bit dodgy
    as far as sound goes, i can use ext sound recorders and such, i know this may seem like overkill for some people but i'm actually wanting a camera to shoot short films on (as well as take photos) but i hate all the current camcorders within my price and even the more expensive one are still not my cup of tea, this comes back to the mechanical zoom and focus issues as well as other things (importing tape is far too tedious for the 21st century if you ask me.
    what i'd really like is something that has interchangable lens, can do video and is aimed at photography rather than video use (handycams really aren't aimed at people who want to create short films with interesting cinematography), that way i could bung on a lens with manual focus, zoom, and aperture and no little censors to tell me what looks good or not
    i think i'll wait a bit, get something like the canon or fuji
    then hopefully my dream camera will be made,