Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Vich
    One member at a neighboring site has now about 15,000 posts. He claims to be a pro with weekly weddings. I looked over his gallary the other day. Man, either he's just too busy (chatting) to be bothered with with making a proper portofolio or ....
    LMAO I believe I know who you mean! This same fellow has a bit of a chip on his shoulder too it seems...
    Ouch.

Don....please don't misunderstand me. I do not expect those offering "free" advice to accept any responsibility for my final decision.

I thought I had a good idea that may help myself and others to know who was talking out of expertise and/or experience...as opposed to someone like me who "fiddles" and sometimes "thinks" he knows the right answers.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Vich
    Number of posts is an entirely meaningless number. It is absolutely, only a mark of how much this person has spent at this site. That is it.

One member at a neighboring site has now about 15,000 posts. He claims to be a pro with weekly weddings. I looked over his gallary the other day. Man, either he's just too busy (chatting) to be bothered with with making a proper portofolio or ....
    Hey, stop talking about me - I'm standing in the room!
    www.jamisonwexler.com

Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

Past Gear

Wink We are all on...

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Gaza
    Don....please don't misunderstand me. I do not expect those offering "free" advice to accept any responsibility for my final decision.

I thought I had a good idea that may help myself and others to know who was talking out of expertise and/or experience...as opposed to someone like me who "fiddles" and sometimes "thinks" he knows the right answers.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea.
    ... a voyage of Discovery. Just like the PC market, things are changing constantly... and at a much more accelerated rate than ever before. It took years for 35mm film items to change and new ideas to be adopted. It may have been due to an "older crowd" fiercely resistant to changes, but the tide has shifted.

Now, cameras are superceded in 6 months. They are hardly on the shelves of the local dealer before something new is out in the magazines and everyone is, again, chomping at the bit. I see dark days ahead for the drawing-by-light industry. LOL.

The new EOS 30D owners are really taking it in the shorts, because of the rapid changes that are occuring. They've got an a slightly improved 20D for $300 more... and here comes the new Rebel XTi no more than 4 months after the 30D's release, for $600 less. Oh man... go Canon!

Keeping up with it all leaves all of us in the dark... so to speak. No one is an expert any longer... because they simply can't be. It's surprise after surprise, and with Photokina only weeks away... I mean to tell ya, OMG!

Darn few people get the heads up to really be able to seriously comment of buying questions. It's mostly conjecture and discussion... and perhaps, a little eavesdropping. The worst of it... it's making everyone look like a piker, because you just can't get a handle on any of it... and this is up to the minute stuff, too. Can you just imagine what the magazine publishers are going through?

Most of all, don't freak... it's just the way it seems to be... an excercise in miscommunication. Serious experience on a subject could be a recent as five minutes ago, in the current game, from a guy who had never posted before.

Like I tried to make clear, originally, there are no ID-cards for members. Check the roster and see how many have joined DCRP... and then narrow your search by seeing how many have over 500 posts. Darn few. Participation is at the pleasure of the member... and their shared expertise... just a bonus, not a requirement.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-28-2006 at 01:24 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

GAZA. Are you shocked you have become a senior member? Don't be too depressed you will soon get over it.
    My first shock after becoming Senior Member was finding out a guy who used to give me lots of useful advices was still Junior Member. And he was a professional photographer.
    Last edited by tim11; 09-24-2006 at 10:39 PM.

um, i wouldn't listen to anything i said. total BS here. <--my disclaimer