Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Member Knowledge - Status Rights ?

An interesting point was raised by one of the Senior Members on another thread about how his "Senior Member" tag was not a reflection on his knowledge on photography....but an indication on how many posts he had made on this forum.

This abnomally was even more pertinent when I realised that I even have "Senior Member" status

As such, when seeking advice from others, do we really know that the responses we get are based on good technical know how, experience, etc......or just an opinion sometimes based on "ignorance", or a lack of knowing any better.

I am not suggesting that people can't be opinionated, afterall, if someone isn't prepared to bat for their own team...then how valid are their arguements if they don't believe in the product they are using ?

However, I would like to know that when someone is offering opinions and recommendations on cameras and lenses, they are qualified to do so. Once again, this does not require "Formal" qualifications....but an obvious understanding of the issues involved.

No doubt, those of you who are photography literate can easily determine the validity of someone else's response. Unfortunately, I cannot.

Would it be possible to have a different "Status" (eg. Knowledgeable) for those members that actually know shit. This would not guarantee that everything they say is right....but at least an indication that their opinions should at least be considered.

Any comment ?????

I hear you Gazza,

I am a "senior member" too

Who would decide who was who in the knowledge zoo though???
    Canon 350D l EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au

You think that's bad, they made me a senior member!
    www.jamisonwexler.com

Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

Past Gear

I hear ya Gaza - My response:

Over time, you'll develope an anti-BS filter. What happens is you begin picking up on who you can trust and who can not trust. There are many ways to learn who can trust and who you cant, the easiest way is to just hang out and keep reading. . . At first its overwhelming - we've all been there. A good rule of thumb is to see how many posts a person has: generally, these people are good contributers. That doesn't mean those with a low count should be considered poor contributers, but there are many different types of contributers

The members here do a pretty good job of "Policing" the boards. . . if someone contributes a total BS comment or advice - a few other members are sure to chime in and call it what it is. . . Same goes for a good advice - members will echo other members. Then there are the grey areas, and trust me, there are plenty of grey areas - you'll see members disagreeing with eachother and making valid arguements on each side . . . most of the time, these conversations are conducted in a decent manor and are beneficial as a whole.

However, the deal is . . . TIME, we've all been new and kinda lost in the sense you describe - which senior members can really be trusted . . . you have to sit back and do some reading and you'll learn who can and can't be trusted, it will become clear. . .
    Last edited by aparmley; 09-11-2006 at 06:52 PM.
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Gaza
    An interesting point was raised by one of the Senior Members on another thread about how his "Senior Member" tag was not a reflection on his knowledge on photography....but an indication on how many posts he had made on this forum.

This abnomally was even more pertinent when I realised that I even have "Senior Member" status

As such, when seeking advice from others, do we really know that the responses we get are based on good technical know how, experience, etc......or just an opinion sometimes based on "ignorance", or a lack of knowing any better.

I am not suggesting that people can't be opinionated, afterall, if someone isn't prepared to bat for their own team...then how valid are their arguements if they don't believe in the product they are using ?

However, I would like to know that when someone is offering opinions and recommendations on cameras and lenses, they are qualified to do so. Once again, this does not require "Formal" qualifications....but an obvious understanding of the issues involved.

No doubt, those of you who are photography literate can easily determine the validity of someone else's response. Unfortunately, I cannot.

Would it be possible to have a different "Status" (eg. Knowledgeable) for those members that actually know shit. This would not guarantee that everything they say is right....but at least an indication that their opinions should at least be considered.

Any comment ?????
    You have to be a card-carrying hero, on DCRP...

Name:  DCRP ID card1 copy.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  103.3 KB
    Parody - Not meant for official use

Right, Andy?

Personally, the crew on this site seems to really give a care about the questions asked. There is occasional agreement on some issues and then disagreements until proven one way or the other. The best part is... the OP can participate by asking even more questions and usually get a rapid reply.

Admittedly, I have posted questions on here and received absolutely no response what-so-ever. Many people read the posting and I suspect that they were decent enough questions, but no one felt an obligation to reply to those particular questions. Was it an expert issue? I don't know... I basically was asking for any experience in regards to one thing or another. Occasionally, there is none available, especially if it is a non-camera or non-lens issue. Oh sure, it should be a photography-based interrogative... but, there is a limit to all the genius collected here.

Good luck in your search for the deeper meanings of whatever. I know the good-hearted heroes of DCRP are always standing by for your call.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-24-2006 at 10:26 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap
    You have to be a card-carrying hero, on DCRP...

Name:  DCRP ID card1 copy.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  103.3 KB
    Parody - Not meant for official use

Good luck in your search for the deeper meanings of whatever. I know the good-hearted heroes of DCRP are always standing by for your call.
    This is the crap aparmley was referring to. You learn to subconsciously recognize and filter.
    Ouch.

Thumbs down Speaking of "crap,"

Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    This is the crap aparmley was referring to. You learn to subconsciously recognize and filter.
    If you're referring to Mr. Schap's good-natured post as "crap," you're WAY off base. If you have no sense of humor, your credibility is right away suspect, in my book.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Personally, I can live with the sometimes unhelpful comments that find their way into threads.

Whether they be, humorous, inane, opinionated, off topic....whatever. If they don't cost me money, then I am no worse for wear. Hell, I have to admit to the occasional remark that serves no better purpose than to entertain myself

However, if advice given by other members results in me spending $$$ on some hardware that proves to be of a lower quality than was intimated....then that has cost me $$$....and angst

Then I have to explain to my kids that Dad can't afford that new pair of socks they always wanted (one of those "occasional remarks" I just referred to ).

So my raising of this thread was not to put a damper on the banter, and good natured (if sometimes feisty) "Brand Wars"....but to identify a need for recognition of credibility when sorting through the responses.

Well, now I'm at post # 1,002. Wahoo!

One thing I have learned is

Number of posts is an entirely meaningless number. It is absolutely, only a mark of how much this person has spent at this site. That is it.

One member at a neighboring site has now about 15,000 posts. He claims to be a pro with weekly weddings. I looked over his gallary the other day. Man, either he's just too busy (chatting) to be bothered with with making a proper portofolio or ....

Now, I don't make any claim to being expert and I don't post my gallary because I know mine looks shabby.

From time to time, someone appears who is an obvious photo authority. Even with only 10 or 20 posts, people perk up.

About the only thing it's good for is on sites where they sell things. A high post count and longtime membership is one point in their favor. It's also hard to keep up a BS act if you're not really an enthusiast for very many posts.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Cool Like anything...

Wadda ya want for free?

No one is making a penny on provided advice, as far as I know, Gaza. We all duke out the pros and cons for each "brand name" and suggestion.

Personally, my favorite third party is TAmROn for a number of dynamite reasons. Others prefer SIGMA or Tokina. Each lens has its up side and down. We often refer to test sites for the individual numbers... but again, it all boils down to "the DEVIL you know".

There are no guarantees, because even the various original manufacturer's copies differ from time to time. Look at the major recall Canon suffered with their EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens. A great lens... with a distinct issue. It still got highly recommended when released. Now that it has been corrected, it is one of the highest demand lens in the land. Would you have been sore if you bought one of the lenses last May? Darn tootin'.

The fact is, the problem it wound up having was discussed several times on this forum months BEFORE the recall was ever issued. That's what happens here... we learn... we share... and we care. Just because someone is professionally snapping pictures certainly doesn't qualify them in all aspects of photography. Some hobbyists are incredibly well versed in many types of photography... and have special knowledge that is only shared when the proper question comes up... otherwise, they shy away from the common and routine.

The fact is, if we waited for every person to be "qualified" to answer every question posed here... it'd be a pretty dull place. It is YOUR responsibility, as a consumer, to find as much information concerning your proposed purchase as possible without popping a vein. The good people of DCRP offer what they know and learn, in an effort to assist you in that pursuit, but that, by no means, places any blame at their feet for a miscue. The information is out there. Collect it as best you can... but asking the forum (a gathering place of interested souls) to go beyond a public post for factory-level "qualifications" seems a little beyond the intent of sharing a common interest, despite your means or knowledge level.

I do not believe I have ever seen any post stating, "I AM THE LORD THY GOD..." before any advice or suggestion. Take everything with a grain of salt and do your own homework, if there is any doubt. There are many sources on the Internet, from the manufacturer to the novice user. Everyone is a contributer... and I doubt there is any significant amount of malice involved in suggesting what lens or camera to buy. The facts are out there... shop around. If you ask a question, don't be surprised is someone or no one answers. Like anything... what do you want for FREE?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-25-2006 at 05:39 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi