Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Digicamforever.

I just got the sony A100K,

I too would love to take wildlife shots and shot of horses. would the lens you have that goes to 400mm, do you need to use a tripod for that lens or are you able to hold the camera with that big of a lens on it.

sorry if that sounds stupid, I am just getting into this a bit and want to buy an extra lens for the camera.

do you have any photo you could show us that you took with that lens.

where would I find that lens?

thanks
    sandy

I'm also looking at getting an A100 (was thinking of getting a Canon 400D but then realised how much better image stabilisation would be!).

I'd be interested in acquiring old Minolta glass via ebay. I'm looking for a good walkaround lens at the wider/standard zoom. Does anyone recommend any particular Minolta lenses to look out for or any poor ones to avoid?

Thumbs up Typically good lenses

As far as a fixed prime goes ... two good lenses to choose from by Minolta:
    • Minolta 50mm f/1.7
    • Minolta 28mm f/2.8

TAmROn also makes some excellent "digital" zooms which are almost all designed with a mount to work on the Minolta/SONY mount.

I found Minolta's 35-70mm f/4 w/ Macro was also a nice little zoom if you can get one. Does not take up much room, uses the same size filters (49mm) as the primes do ... and best of all, fixed f/4 aperture from 35-70mm.

All "G" glass is turning out superior perormance ... and it was Minolta's latest release and competing directly with Canon's professional level "L"-glass. Finding this "professional"-glass might be a bit harder and definitely far more pricey. Only you (perhaps your spouse) can determine if your photography budget rates this kind of improvement. SONY has "rewrapped" and released these "G" lenses.

When Tokina releases the AF-D 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 ATX 840 for the SONY/Minolta-mount, then you will have a serious pro-sumer telephoto lens for the A100. Priced around $650, it would seem to easily compete with the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and offer some serious reach.

Can you shoot 400mm handheld with "in-camera" IS? Sure you can. Check out the 500mm-Reflex test, in this Manufacturer's forum.

Also check out Wikipedia entries for Minolta and the long list of compatible glass.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-30-2007 at 09:45 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks Don.

Is the 70-210mm f4 "Beercan" a worthy purchase for an intial setup as I heard that ts not a bad zoom and you can often pick up decent second hand ones on ebay

Thumbs up Second-hand beer ... huh?

Cost is always an important consideration when buying second-hand glass. New stuff can be difficult to negotiate. It usually is what it is, unless you go grey-market. Then all warranty bets are off ... and you are effectively looking at second-hand glass with nearly brand new prices!

I would suggest using second-hand glass for those who are beginning ... and be ready to grab a new and better version if the older one simply does not meet your needs. You can always sell it or loan it to someone else and let them enjoy it, too.

f/4 is a tolerable fixed aperture, if you have a good flash to accompany it. Buy the flash new ... second hand flashes notoriously do not last long.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb One lens for your SONY

If you are just starting out with the A100 and want to save a few dollars from the get-go, then instead of the TAMRON 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 (model A014), consider the brand new TAMRON AF18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 (Model A018). That extra 50mm will help this lens close the gap on other 200mm offerings.

This lens offers the very same utility the 18-200 does/did and the same decent aperture, at the low end. In other words, when you zoom from 18-55mm, your maximum aperture will go from f/3.5 to 4.5. That's well within the performance envelope of the standard 18-70mm "kit" lens.

I recommend just purchasing the 18-250mm as your "kit" choice right up front. Forget the 18-70mm entirely.

Name:  18_250mm.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  47.6 KB
    (click on image)

It is a good one-lens choice for those who have yet to appreciate the value of swappping lens on their DSLR. Available at the end of February 2007, this is a lens for all seasons. Make it your first one.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-05-2007 at 08:11 AM.

flickr & Sdi