Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, I'm new here and need a camera!

Hello everyone, I'm happy to have found this forum since I'm currently looking for a new camera. Herein lies the problem...I know virtually nothing of digital cameras, I used to play around with an slr many, many moons ago. Now, I'm a point and shot kinda girl and am very much in need of an upgrade. I currently have a little Nikon Coolpix 4600 which is okay, it is what it is. I really want a camera that doesn't leave me hanging from shot to shot as this one does when recycling (is this the correct term?) and with more features for me to play with.
    On to the required questionnaire...........

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? hmmm, around $300.00 or less would be my preference; but I'm willing to go higher if necessary.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? I would like to continue with a small camera; again, I can increase the size, depending upon your thoughts.
    Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? I'm thinking 6 or more

* What optical zoom will you need? Standard optical zoom should do the trick.
    * How important is “image quality” to you? Hmmm, image quality is a plus, I think, 7 or 8.

Do you care for manual controls? oh yeah, manual controls are fun to play with.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? I do a lot of knitting and take pictures for my blog, etc. I also take photos of family and pets like most of us do, I'm sure. I have tried (not very successfully) to get photos of my dog running around playing ball...the resulting pics left a great deal to be desired.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? not likely, certainly nothing larger than 8x10 and that will be rare.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? yes, this is where I've run into a big problem with my camera, it takes forever and a day between shots while I assume we are waiting for the flash to recharge or something.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? not likely...the dog playing ball is as sporty as I get with photography

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? No

Are there particular models you already have in mind? I have been reading a good deal about Canon A540, A620 and A700, I had almost decided on the 700 and read a few negatives about it on here so I thought it best to ask your opinions.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) I don't think that I need any of them..but, you know, if the recommended cameras come with these perks, that would be just fine

Many Thanks,
    Rebecca

why are you buying a digital camera? I am just curious because Canon is announcing a new group of cameras on Thursday. yu might want to keep that in mind. they might have some new SD models and will definitely have the new A640.

Hi, I'm buying a digital camera for the same reason most people do, i would suppose!
    Thanks for the heads up on the new camera, I had heard about those, but I am more interested in those that are out now.

alright. then of the ones you mentions the A620 is the best.(I think) of course for low light there is the Fuji F30. that is if you have a lot of indoor photos. those are two of my personal faves that should fit your needs. I am not sure if you consider the A620 small since it is the biggest P&S out unless you go for the SLR like cameras e.g. Canon S3 IS which is the size of a DSLR.

I am not sure if you will have problems with the dog. I do not think you should with either camera. as for the wait period between shots the A620 is about 1 second and the F30 is about 2 seconds. you might personally like the A700. the only problem is the zoom is not really useful without IS and the thing is more expensive than the A620 which is better than it.(again my opinion) if you want something extra like zoom there is the TZ1 by Panasonic, but it is best with small pictures and does not have amazing image quality there.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
    Another question, again your opinions are greatly appreciated in that I am a digital camera novice.
    Of those that you recommend, do you have a favorite for overall amateur photography, one that will function well in most circumstances...family photos, etc?
    Thanks again!

From what I know the A620 is good in all circumstances (well normal circumstances) but it is not really amazing in anything. the F30 is amazing in low light and in normal lighting conditions it is decent but sometimes can have problems with bright light.

Like ben said, the A620 (or, perhaps, the upcoming A640) is the best all around camera. It offers manual controls, sharp images, a swivel lcd.... all for about $215 USD. All in all, a great camera for very little money.

If low light photos without flash are required, consider the Fuji F10/F11/F30 cameras - otherwise I think the Canon A620 would be perfect for you.

Thanks so much! Ya'll have been very helpful....I'm pretty sure we'll be going for the 620!

Cool help on finding a camera

hi! i've had the same problems looking for a camera. your best deal i think would be overstock.com depending on your budget you can find great deals on the auction or even just the page. for example:

OLYMPUS SP-350 8.0 MP Digital Camera SP350 + Warranty the highest bid right now is $93.25. just an example.

there are also other great deals on there with everything from technology to clothing and jewelry. there are more cameras too. the only one i deffinately do not reccomend if your on a budget is the mini spy digital cameras those really stink and they are not really 'digital' you have to connect it to the computer for it to work.
    Good luck! here's the camera page for you good luck! tell me if you found anything..

overstock.com digital camera page(s) below

http://auctions.overstock.com/cgi-bi...LinkSource=HM5

Thanks, I'd not even looked at Overstock for a camera. Right now I'm trying to decide exactly which one that I want.
    I'm afraid I'm a bit confused. I just returned from looking at cameras and I'm not sure which one I want The stores where I looked didn't have the A620, but they did have some of the Elph series...now, these seemed fun, too.
    Okay, what is the significant difference between the Elph series and the A series, other than the obvious size. Have you an opinion on which elph if indeed you do recommend an Elph?
    The girl at the camera store tells me that the Sony T series and the Nikon P series are comparable...your thoughts? Was she just trying to make a sale?
    Thanks again for your help...I am at the mercy of sales people without your advice which is deeply appreciated