Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Wanting good portrait shots ...

I am wanting to shoot good portrait shots and am on my way to learning more about photography. The main picture I want to achieve is the infocus subject with the blurred background. I think this has to do with higher aperture settings and/or the use of a longer telephone lens. I am not ready to invest in a dSLR, but would like to get plenty of use out of one of the ultra-zoom cameras available, which will also allow me to grow into it.

So, as I've read a million reviews I've narrowed my search down to the Panasonic fz30 (or 50), Canon S3 IS, or the Sony h5. (of course any other suggestions is appreciated as well).

Being a very newbie in the school of photography (aperture settings, shutter speeds, etc ) do you know if the cameras listed above can take nice portrait shots with the aperture settings they have available to them? Remember as I'm writing this, I'm not really sure what I'm talking about ) I realize that there is a learning curve to every camera, but I just want to make sure before I invest in one that it will allow me to take the type of pics I want to take once I get that manual out and study it and practice with it.

Thanks for any input you may have!

These cameras can get you the effect that you want, but you need to remember a few things to achieve this effect.

1) Maintain as much distance as possible between the subject and the background.

2) Shoot at the telephoto end of the lens (highest zoom).

3) Get as close as you can to the subject.

4) Use the largest aperture or use Portrait mode, which I think does the same thing. This will decrease the depth of field, giving you the desired effect.