Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Which Camera shoudl I buy

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. $500, btu coudl go a little more if the right camera is available

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Compact or Ultra COmpact

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 6-8

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify) 4, Ultarzoom woudl be nice, but I understand they are larger

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual controls? I'm use to the basis functionaluty that is on the Sony DSC V1, unfortunantly the camera image now shakes

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Dog Pictures, I breed and Show Labradors, will be taking pictures of puppies indoors, but also outdoors while attending dog shows. ALso baby pictures which will be indoors

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? typically 4x6 on my epson printer

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? about 1/2 indoor 1/2 out door

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? some movement at dog show, but want a camera with a fast recycle time, so I can take multiple pictures of a dog when they are standing, sometimes they my be 20-30 feet away

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? no

Are there particular models you already have in mind? I saw the N30 had good reviews, but was concerned about outdoor shooting ability

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) Image stabalization maybe

what is the N30? there is the N1 and the T30. However neither offer the manual controls which you have grown accustomed to and the N1 does not have IS (Image Stabilization) either. I looked at the V1 and think you would be comfotrable with the Canon A620, and the A540. or if you can take 5 MP the A610 and A530 are also good. There is also the Fuji F30 which is known very well for its high ISO capabilities which means it can take great low light pictures without flash. However none of these cameras have IS. I am not sure if you will find IS in a compact with full manual controls which is basically what you want. there is the Panasonic LX2 coming in september for $500 I believe, but panasonic is known for noise problems so you would need your indoor locations to be very well lit. Luckily it is not released yet so if you can wait 2 weeks it just might turn out to be a good camera.

Oh there is also the Panasonic TZ1 it is not especially good in regular picture areas but it is decent and has 10x zoom and comsidering the size you might want to at least consider it.
    Last edited by ben7337; 08-19-2006 at 02:42 PM.

I intended to say the fuji f30.

I could give up manual controal and image stabilization, I want a camera that will have very little delay inbetween shots, that has a decent zoom.

Focusing times were very good on the F30. When focusing is easy you'll want between 0.2 and 0.4 seconds (and less with the high speed focusing mode on) for the camera to lock focus. At the telephoto end the times are longer, but not too horrible. Low light focusing wasn't terribly quick, but it was accurate.

Shutter lag was not an issue, even at slower shutter speeds.

Shot-to-shot speeds were average, with a delay of around two seconds between shots.
    just from the review on this website for the F30 I am not sure if that is too slow for you.

The A620 has above average focusing performance, with typical focus times of around 0.2 - 0.4 seconds when the shutter release is halfway pressed. At the telephoto end of things focusing takes a bit longer, but it's still pretty snappy. Low light focusing was very good thanks to the camera's AF-assist lamp.

I did not find shutter lag to be a problem, even at the slower shutter speeds at which it can occur.

Shot-to-shot speed was excellent on the A620, with a delay of about a second before you can take another picture, assuming you've turned the post-shot review feature off.
    the A620 speeds.

Autofocus speeds were above average. Typically it took between 0.3 and 0.5 seconds for the camera to lock focus, and not that much longer in more difficult situations. In low light, the A540 focused well thanks to its AF-assist lamp.

I did not find shutter lag to be a problem, even at the slower shutter speeds at which it can occur.

Shot-to-shot speed is excellent on the A540, with a delay of a little over a second before you can take another picture, assuming you've turned the post-shot review feature off.
    Last edited by ben7337; 08-19-2006 at 03:08 PM.

well that is for the cameras I mentioned. any others you are considering or want to know about? as long as they have a review on this website that information is redily available.

OK I think I'm narrowing it down

I decided that I want an ultra compact.

Fuji F30 vs Cannon SD 700IS seem to be the two I am considering

Response time inbetween pictures is most important to me. More zoom is important but secondary to the quality of the pictures and response time. Will be taking pictures equally indoors and outdoors.

With the Fuji, I assume the ISO performance would also help outdoors in low light, say when it is cloudy. My thought is if the flash is not needed in most situations, the recycle time inbetween takgin pictures woudl be less.

The Cannon SD 700IS, the 4x zoom is a plus.

Which of the two would you recommend? are there any others I should consider? Price is not the issue, just want the better camera.

Tom

the sd700 has a little over 1 second delay between pictures. the f30 however takes about 2 seconds. if both those times are no big deal to you I would say the f30 unless you will have a decent amount of very bright conditions it would probably be the best for you. the sd700 is still a great camera but it does cost more. like $70 more I think.

My wife and I searched hard; our choice was the Canon. I want a camera to carry with me for those times when I don't normally have a camera.

I like the brilliance, colour and edge to edge performance. The flash is powerful enough.

Suspected uses...work, travel, kids and dogs.

My nikon f90s stays at home...

What have you chosen?

Dave

Tom

You will not go wrong with either camera. With price out of the way (which, if purchased on sale, should be close to the same when memory card prices are taken into consideration) you are down to shooting styles. If you are more of an indoor photographer and wish to shoot family gathers, churches, offices, etc., the Fuji is the best choice. If you prefer the outdoor photos and wish to shoot landscape, cityscape, and outdoor portraits the Canon may have a slight edge. If you can't decide between those two settings, flip a coin - you will end up with one of the two best ultra compact cameras available today no matter if it lands heads or tails.