Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Camera for Print work, Outdoors, Sunny

Hi guys,
    Gotta say, I love this website! I would be greatful if someone could help me decide on a camera.

I am interested in either the Finepix F30 - or a dSLR. Let me explain what I'm using it for ( size is a factor )

I'm a graphic designer but I normally don't do my own photography, I have a preproduction idea for a Travel Guide so I need to take travel type photos that are outdoors in bright sunlight. I will be using a tripod on and off, and a fair majority of the pictures will be taken handheld.

The idea of the guide is about extreme portability, and so size and cost is making me move away from a dSLR, also I don't intend on changing lens sizes.

I love the smooth look a dSLR brings, but I need to know if a Finepix F30 can pull off 300dpi print work at A4 or smaller size for professional work, to be used in a magazine type photo book, the content in the book is more important than the photos but I don't want them to look shonky either.

Will the Finepix be fine for what I require, or should I really think about a dSLR ?

thank you for your reponse,

I've not kept up on all the new models, but the f30 is billed as a "sports" camera whose greatest claim to fame is its ability to shoot at 3200 ISO, not at all necessary (or desireable) if your aim is high print quality in good sun. For that, all you need is excellent image quality at ISO 50 or 100, which should be possible with many 6-8MP cameras. Another drawback to the F30 is that it can't record in RAW or TIFF modes, which I would consider seriously for professional printing work.

As for the photographic quality, it also depends I guess on the mode of reproduction, but in general, 6-8 MP is fully capable of producing professional print quality at A4 size, particularly if you a) shoot RAW; b) develop as TIFF; then c) use a printing program like Qimage to print to file. Qimage automatically provides optimum uprezing and sharpening for the final print size selected, so you're apt to get the best results.
    FWIW I recently had a couple of 8MP photographs printed at B1 size from RAW -> TIFFs and they came out beautifully (in this case I couldn't use Qimage to make the final files since my computer choked on the memory requirements for prints that large).
    Last edited by Norm in Fujino; 08-17-2006 at 05:49 PM.
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Do you have any idea how small F30 really is? To a person who is thinking DSLR like yourself? What do you mean by "size is a factor'? Camera size or image size?
    I wouldn't recommend F30 if it is mainly for bright outdoors shots. In fact, its shortfall is exactly under this condition where its image tend to be purple fringed and over exposed.
    Have you considered ultra zoom like Panasonic FZ7, Canon S3, Sony H2? Or smallest ultra zoom Pana TZ1?
    A little smaller favourite of mine is Canon A620, and A700.
    I believe any camera I mentioned can produce good enough image for your purpose, as long as you don't make a lifesize poster. You can go to camera database on this website and download image samples and see them yourself before you buy.

Hi guys, thank you kindly for your quick responses, the information is really useful.

Normally in my work I don't do the photography myself, I am normally supplied the Tiffs and work on them from there.

So I would definitely need atleast Tiff format, if I can't get RAW.

I realise now the vagueness in my question, truthfully 6mp should be fine, back in the day we thought 4mp was super high for professionals only and now you can get 6mp quite easily.

It sounds like I really don't need to go to a dSLR for what I intend to do, as a smaller camera would produce the quality I need.

I intend to tripod ( and would love wireless remote control ) and require high quality outdoor shots at around ISO100, and would like a small camera for portability. Image stabilizing would also be very useful for the non tripod shots...

I'll check out the recommendations already, does anyone else have recommendations for a camera based on this ?

Thank you kindly once again

Edit: I quite like the lumix TZ1, but based on other peoples opinions/reviews the image quality is not extraordinary. I am worried this will not be good enough for publication purposes.
    Last edited by Tyson_AUS; 08-17-2006 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson_AUS
    So I would definitely need atleast Tiff format, if I can't get RAW.
    I intend to tripod ( and would love wireless remote control ) and require high quality outdoor shots at around ISO100, and would like a small camera for portability. Image stabilizing would also be very useful for the non tripod shots...
    I believe all ultra zoom have TIFF format. And all I mentioned above have IS.
    If it doesn't have wireless remote, you can still use time delay 2 or 10 seconds. One thing though, those cameras are nearly the same size of a DSLR.

Thank you Tim, I am checking out your recommendations of :
    Panasonic FZ7, Canon S3, Sony H2
    Canon A620, and A700

Edit: The Canon A620 looks like a pretty good choice, the fact that you can use AA batteries ties in with the content of "adventure" with the book. I am still researching at this point. But can anyone recommend a camera that has similiar qualities to the Canon A620 in terms of high quality pictures that also comes with Optical Image Stablizing to remove the problem of shaking hand blurry pics
    Last edited by Tyson_AUS; 08-17-2006 at 10:52 PM.

Hi guys,

I decided on a Canon S3 - I think I can't go wrong with that choice.

Canon is well known for their image quality / low ISO noise.
    12 x Zoom
    Optical Image Stablizing for those non-tripod shots
    And the ability to use AA batteries is great cause I am always miscalculating my usage.

I think this is a great choice, I chose this over the A620 because I wanted an Optical Image Stabilizer and extra zoom.

Only downfall is the size, but if you want the goods you gotta be willing to carry them

Thanks again

Edit: ARGHHHHHHHH! How can such a good camera not have Raw or not even Tiff support ! Will the maximum file size in a .jpeg be good enough for publication and printing purposes, I think not... damn
    Last edited by Tyson_AUS; 08-19-2006 at 08:36 PM.

Then I think your best bet would be tim11's suggestion of the Panasonic FZ7. It has TIFF, it has IS, and it's relatively compact for a camera with a 12x zoom lens. The downside is that its images are noisier than those of some of its competitors, especially at ISO 200 and above. But since you'll be shooting outdoors in bright sunlight most of the time, you should be able to keep the ISO at 80 or 100, thus minimizing the appearance of noise in your images.

Stephanie
    My Nikon D80 gallery
    My Fujifilm FinePix F30 and F10 galleries

SLR stuff: Nikon D80 | Nikon F80 | Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom | Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8D | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2D | Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) | Tamron SP AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical (IF) | Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

P&S stuff: Fujifilm FinePix F30 | Fujifilm FinePix F10

Accessories: Slik Sprint Pro GM tripod

Hi sjseto, thanks for your reply. The FZ7 looks very good all round for what I want, but ISO 100 and 200 look very noisey, is this something I should be worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson_AUS
    Edit: ARGHHHHHHHH! How can such a good camera not have Raw or not even Tiff support ! Will the maximum file size in a .jpeg be good enough for publication and printing purposes, I think not... damn
    Why don't you 'borrow' some full sized test photos from Jeff's sample image and find out. I'm sure he wouldn't mind.
    I believe it's good enough for publication since yours won't be large prints. Just make sure you shoot in highest quality and save in TIFF afterward.
    While FZ7 is known for having higher noise, S3 IS is also known for purple fringing.

Sample images from S3 IS:
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca.../gallery.shtml
    Good luck.