Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Advice from Paint Shop Pro users

I am trying to post pics that I PP'd in PSP X. After I push "Upload" in the Manage Attachments window, it says, "Invalid File." I made sure the file size was less than 200 MB. Any ideas what the problem is? Could it be because I just have a trial version of PSP X?
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Did you save your pics with a .jpg extension?

Stephanie
    My Nikon D80 gallery
    My Fujifilm FinePix F30 and F10 galleries

SLR stuff: Nikon D80 | Nikon F80 | Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom | Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8D | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2D | Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) | Tamron SP AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical (IF) | Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

P&S stuff: Fujifilm FinePix F30 | Fujifilm FinePix F10

Accessories: Slik Sprint Pro GM tripod

Wow, I am such a newbie. No, I think all my photos were saved as PSPimage . After I read your message, I tried saving them with a .jpg extension, but they still wouldn't load. To save a pic as a jpg, do I need to do anything else but save it as xxx.jpg ? Or do I need to somehow format it? Thanks for your help! Tori
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Are you sure about that file size? 200MB? The file can be no bigger than 234.4K...

Other things to check...in PSP, take a look in the "Save As" dialog box, click the "Options" button. The compression factor has to be set to 2 or greater or the saved file will not be recognized as valid jpeg file. And, make sure that the encoding type is set to Standard Encoding.

Set it and leave it at 2 for the best quality...but you files will be huge!

It's best to use a hosting site like SmugMug. You can upload you files in their original size but when you link them to a post they will sized correctly. No resizing necessary!

Oh, and BTW, I hope when you are re-sizing that you are saving the files with a different name than the originals...otherwise you'll overwrite your originals and you NEVER want to do that...which leads me to another point...don't use the compression factor to make your files smaller...use the Image menu selection and choose Resize and resize the photo to a pixel dimension of somthing like 756x566...

To my knowledge, there are no limitations in the trial version of PSP...
    Last edited by JTL; 08-15-2006 at 11:54 PM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Thanks, JTL.

I use the "save copy as" feature. For some reason it works better than the Save As.

I know I was doing something wrong ... I saved the pics on a CD and took them to be printed today, but the machines couldn't read the files either. So it's definitely not just DCRP.

Off to try what you said ... thanks!
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by toriaj
    Thanks, JTL.

I use the "save copy as" feature. For some reason it works better than the Save As.

I know I was doing something wrong ... I saved the pics on a CD and took them to be printed today, but the machines couldn't read the files either. So it's definitely not just DCRP.

Off to try what you said ... thanks!
    Tori:

You should be using Save As and just add an extra character or something to the file name so it creates a new file...or just completely rename the file to something entirely different (and double check all the other stuff I mentioned in my previous post as well). Don't use "Save Copy As". They do two different things...I'll get into that later...but for now, let's eliminate another variable, O.K.?

Also, don't get mad if you think I'm asking you dumb questions...but...we have to explore all possibilities...when you're saving you are choosing .jpg from the "save as type" drop down box, right?
    Last edited by JTL; 08-16-2006 at 11:29 PM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

JTL, you are the best! All I had to do was Save As instead!! Apparently it was Save Copy As that caused me all the trouble Believe me, there are no dumb questions of me! The only PPprograms I've used before are Picasa and PictureProject. This one is much more complex, and I come from _nothing_ like it.

Okay, I checked the file size. Yeah, the original size was more like 2-8 MB. I was trying to reduce it to less than 200 KB. Once I used Save As, then it saved as a Jpeg automatically. The compression and encoding defaulted to the settings you mentioned. I am so relieved.

By the way, what does "Save Copy As" do?

Just because I am so excited that I can post something ... this is from the fountain show at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas. What do you think?

Name:  Crop Fountain 600.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  75.0 KB
    Thanks again.
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by toriaj
    JTL, you are the best! All I had to do was Save As instead!! Apparently it was Save Copy As that caused me all the trouble Believe me, there are no dumb questions of me! The only PPprograms I've used before are Picasa and PictureProject. This one is much more complex, and I come from _nothing_ like it.

Okay, I checked the file size. Yeah, the original size was more like 2-8 MB. I was trying to reduce it to less than 200 KB. Once I used Save As, then it saved as a Jpeg automatically. The compression and encoding defaulted to the settings you mentioned. I am so relieved.

By the way, what does "Save Copy As" do?

Just because I am so excited that I can post something ... this is from the fountain show at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas. What do you think?

Name:  Crop Fountain 600.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  75.0 KB
    Thanks again.
    No problem...I am happy to help.

"Save Copy As" saves the file without any encoding making the file unusable! Why this is needed or useful to anyone...your guess is as good as mine. It's even more stupid that they have the Options button and the File Type drop down in the dialog box because they have no function when doing a Save Copy As...

I suspect it was meant to function like a file export (which also would be useless...why not just drag and drop?) but I smell a bug in the implementation. A bug in a useless feature. That's a new one!

-----------------

Hey...for some reason, I can't see the picture you attached in your post, but in my copy of your post in this reply, the link shows up. That is weird!

The pic has a cool abstract quality to it. I'd play with the cropping and turn it into art!
    Last edited by JTL; 08-17-2006 at 10:42 PM.

Note to self: stay away from Save Copy As!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    The pic has a cool abstract quality to it. I'd play with the cropping and turn it into art!
    I cropped it a little, to center the fountains. Maybe I'll try cropping on just the background building, or just the fountains.
    Flickr