Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Purple Fringe and noise

Hey Guys...Just learning the wonders of Manual Mode and I am having some issues. First...I tend to get a lot of purple fringe. I got quite a bit in automatic, and figured I would try manual to lessen the effect, but I still get it. I just took a few shots, the ISO was at 200 and I am getting quite a bit of noise, and my backgrounds seem a bit washed out (again with the purple fringe - too bright)

Can anyone give some suggestions?? Thanks

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...b/IMG_0027.jpg

The purple fringing is called chromatic aberration.
    Canons are usually pretty good about this issue- meaning- they have less of it than most other digital cameras.
    What model do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by AVITWeb
    Hey Guys...Just learning the wonders of Manual Mode and I am having some issues. First...I tend to get a lot of purple fringe. I got quite a bit in automatic, and figured I would try manual to lessen the effect, but I still get it. I just took a few shots, the ISO was at 200 and I am getting quite a bit of noise, and my backgrounds seem a bit washed out (again with the purple fringe - too bright)

Can anyone give some suggestions?? Thanks

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...b/IMG_0027.jpg
    This typically happens under specific conditions.

For example; your light sensitivity is to high and or/ your lens is at either extremities. At the extreme of every lens lies some distortion. So pulling thing way back (panoramic) and all the way out (telephoto) will increase CA(chromatic Aberration). The work around for this is to physically position yourself or the subject so that things are within the sweet spot of your lens.

Depending on your camera you can identify the range by doing some trial and error and comparing the results. On the S3IS I noticed that things look especially great in the 30-50mm range of the optical zoom.

Hope this helps.

I have the S2is. I didn't use the zoom at all...(it was all the way out.)
    The purple fringe was the secondary problem, but i will play to see what I come up with. It was the noise that bothered me. That shot was 200 ISO, and I would have assumed with it being relatively low, that the noise would be to a minimum, but it wasn't. There has to be something I am missing because when I put the camera on Auto, the pictures look 100% better.

A few things here...

the harsh sunlight that your shooting around is the first problem. Try the same shot in the early morning and in the early evening and compare the differences. Why are you shooting at ISO 200? Higher ISO settings makes the CCD more sensitive to light. There is clearly enough light to set the camera @ ISO 50. If the shot looks better in auto look at the exif setting to find out why.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%