Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FZ50 - Enhanced Optical Zoom Question

I currently have the FZ20 and understand the "uselessness" of the Digital Zoom Function.

I am interested in upgrading in the soon to be released FZ50 and am particularly interested in the "Enhanced" Optical Zoom function. My understanding of this (and please correct me if I am wrong), is that I can accept a lesser pixel count, from the 10MP default, but gain additional optical zoom. This would give me greater optical zoom capability than my FZ20 but at an equal picture quality (if accepting the 5MP quality)....and even greater optical zoom if I accept 3MP quality etc.

I believe that the FZ30 has similar functionality, so for those owners of the FZ30, is this how it works....and is it successful ?

You are correct with the FZ30 you get a picture similar to that from a FZ5 when using the 5mp setting and the zoom is increased to 535mm or about 15X.

Here are a bunch of photos my wife took most of them are taken at 3EZ ...even those that should not have been.

You can see the photos at any size and the exif is included.
    The first 3 albums marked Alaska.

http://imageevent.com/grc6/fz30

Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80

Honest Gaza: Are you going to replace FZ20 with FZ50?

Genece: Are those grisly inside some sort of enclosure or something? I sure like to see wild animal up close but not without some sort of barrier in between. LoLz.

Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Honest Gaza, other than the previously mentioned "Enhanced Zoom" function, what else interests you in the FZ50 and why would you want to "upgrade" from the FZ20 to the FZ50? Just curious.....
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jcon
    Honest Gaza, other than the previously mentioned "Enhanced Zoom" function, what else interests you in the FZ50 and why would you want to "upgrade" from the FZ20 to the FZ50? Just curious.....
    It's like this Jason.....me and the missus are going to Hong Kong in October.....and if she's gunna spend $$$ on handbags and clothing.....I'm gunna have to buy something aren't I

In addition to the "Enhanced Zoom" I like the zoom ring being located on the lens barrel rather than the lever as used on the FZ20. I can't justify upgrading from the FZ20 to the FZ30 for this feature alone....however, Enhanced Zoom, Manual Zoom Ring, and Extra Pixel count......I hear the FZ50 calling me (and even then, only if I can get it significantly cheaper than here in Australia).

Quote Originally Posted by tim11
    If the price is right......

Quote Originally Posted by genece
    You are correct with the FZ30 you get a picture similar to that from a FZ5 when using the 5mp setting and the zoom is increased to 535mm or about 15X.

Here are a bunch of photos my wife took most of them are taken at 3EZ ...even those that should not have been.

You can see the photos at any size and the exif is included.
    The first 3 albums marked Alaska.

http://imageevent.com/grc6/fz30
    Thanks Gene....fantastic photos.

Those pics are justification for what I want to do. Using an Olympus TCon17 on the FZ20 and then comparing the clarity of the photos with what you have captured with the FZ30 (using EZ)....amazing differences. I always get faded edges to the photos when using the TCon17.

Good luck with the camera and enjoy your time in Hong Kong! I look forward to seeing pictures!
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jcon
    Honest Gaza, other than the previously mentioned "Enhanced Zoom" function, what else interests you in the FZ50.....
    I think TTL flash is cool. I am not likely to change my FZ20 for 50 though.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

All the animals in those Alaska albums are wild .....none are in a fence.
    the only photo of an animal in a fence is the musk ox....we saw those in a farm. And at Santa's house we took a few pictures of his reindeer.
    I believe those photos are marked as not being wild.

All the grizzlies were wild, we saw a total of 14 grizzlies some not very close but 6 were quite close.
    Those photos you included ,,were black bear and there were many days we saw 6 to 8 black bear a day. All the black bear were very close to the road.
    There was one section of road above Skagway in about 10 miles we photographed 4 different bear.One of those is the lower picture you posted.

There are lots of animals in Alaska and Western Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by tim11

Genece: Are those grisly inside some sort of enclosure or something? I sure like to see wild animal up close but not without some sort of barrier in between. LoLz.

Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80