Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Personal printer or company which is cheapest?

which would be cheapest do you think? I am sure it depends on how many pictures you take but I am just curious which people here preffer and if you could reffer me to some nice printers. looking for something that is not too expensive but will make pictures just as good as a film developing company or a digital picture company like snapfish. Thanks for your time photo printers is an area I know almost nothing about.

I think it ultimately comes down to personal choice. I can only speak for me, but I originally thought I would be printing quite a bit on my home printer. These would be primarily 4X6 for my wife's photo albums. I did this for awhile, but got tired of constantly replacing ink tanks and having some difficulty with color shifts, so gave up.

Recently I tried a couple of online printers - EasyShare and Shutterfly. Both were easy to use, relatively inexpensive, and shipped promptly. Shutterfly won out by a small but clear margin. I did all the editing, sharpening etc., on my computer, then sent them the files w/o adding any other enhancements. Based on what I got back, this is the way I will go in the future.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

P.S. Should have added that most folks seem to agree that it is cheaper to have your pictures printed by an online vendor versus done on your home printer.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-03-2006 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ben7337
    which would be cheapest do you think? I am sure it depends on how many pictures you take but I am just curious which people here preffer and if you could reffer me to some nice printers. looking for something that is not too expensive but will make pictures just as good as a film developing company or a digital picture company like snapfish. Thanks for your time photo printers is an area I know almost nothing about.
    Ok. If you get a decent photo printer and properly calibrate your monitor... there's no reason you can't produce high quality prints right at home for a decent price. I personally own a Canon Ip4200 and it KICKS ASS! It produces drops as small as 1 picoliter which to my understanding is as small as is really possible. I can't see dots even with a magnifying glass and to replace the entire ink system (all 6 cartridges) is only around 70 bucks. It also does borderless printer straight up with 4x6 and 8.5x11 paper (i'm sure it does other sizes as well.) Which is nice because i can just feed it any brand of 4x6 paper and it comes out 100% borderless. I've printed prolly well over 100 4x6's and about 3 or 4 8.5x11's since i've had the thing and i still have well over 3/4 of my ink tanks full. So in that respect the ip4200 is an excellent value for the money. It can be had at most office supply stores for around 100 bucks and it REALLY delivers. I'd highly recomend it for anyone wanting a serious printer. Also, be sure to calibrate your monitor to your print er so there won't be any problems between what you see on screen and what comes out of the printer. I've been VERY pleased with my Ip4200 and wouldn't hesitate to recomend it to anyone. Good luck.
    Last edited by BonjiB; 08-05-2006 at 08:34 PM.
    The name is pronounced bonn-gee-bee
    Canon 1Ds Mark II
    Canon 20D + BG-E2
    Canon Elan 7e
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L USM IS
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Canon 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus

alright I just did some checking on printer paper to estimate costs and it comes to around 25.6 cents per page so I will check the printer out.

um according to the websites sister to this one (Printerspot) the Canon Pixma iP4200 only has 4 colors and no other printers listed have the number 4200.

Talking

Canon Selphy C510 will do for me.
    Begin 2 Imagine

The conclusion I came to when I researched it for my printer was it was cheaper to get 4x6 prints done commercially, but cheaper to do 5x7 and larger prints at home.

There's a couple of additional considerations. First, my comparison looked at the cost of supplies only, so you'll need print quite a few of the larger prints to offset the original cost of the printer. Second, there may be times when it is important to get prints right away and having a personal printer is the only way to do it.

The quality of the on-line prints, especially at the larger sizes, in my opinion offsets the slightly higher per-print cost.

However, for 4x6 prints I can recommend the Epson PictureMate quite highly. Looking at it purely from an economic point of view, I'd have to print several thousand pictures before I came close to a reasonable per-print cost, but for the convenience, it's fantastic! And the inks all come in a single cartridge so you're not always changing one color tank and then the next day another color, etc. I've got the Deluxe model with the viewer, but if you don't want to do any cropping or editing, the non-viewer model is a lot cheaper with the same print engine.

Be warned, though -- Epson wants you to think that one ink cartridge = 100 prints, since they sell you that combination of paper and ink. But they also have a larger package, where they include 2 ink tanks and 270 sheets of paper. The tanks are the same as in the smaller packages, so they obviously know that one tank can print at least 135 pictures! My sister had one and after seeing hers I bought one, and she pointed out that there was still a lot of ink in the cartridge when the paper ran out. Her only problem was that the prints on extra paper weren't as good as the ones using the paper in the package. I told her to be sure to buy Epson High Quality paper, the same as is packaged in the boxes, and once she did that, the prints are just as nice as the first prints were.

And they last far longer than the prints I print on my Canon S9000, which was supposed to be a good picture printer when using Canon inks and Canon paper. They fade far too rapidly, though.

It's nice to be able to hand someone a copy of a special picture at a family event and not have to wait for prints to come in the mail and then send them on.

You now can do same day prints. If you have a local walmart, kmart, target any place where u can send your pics online and do the 1 hour print and pick up at your local store. I have done it with walmart.