Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TEMPA View Post
    Yeah we have TV.

But if I was pulling that thing apart, and I had all those parts spread out on the bench in front of me, watching TV would be the last thing on my mind.

I would only need something to wipe the nervous sweat from my brow...

Good job. I wouldn't do it...

TEMPA
    You gotta keep your hand on the remote or ill have to watch cartoon network all day or somthing else that i dont care about.

Thats what the remote is for, to pause, wipe off the sweat and watch some more football. Then dig back in and pound away
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

i too have a spring and a ball left over. i am devastated, honestly. can't afford a new s3 right now, settling for a canon a590 i think.... any suggestions on something under 150? or on what to do with this camera and all it's pieces i have left???

Quote Originally Posted by amj3701 View Post
    i too have a spring and a ball left over. i am devastated, honestly. can't afford a new s3 right now, settling for a canon a590 i think.... any suggestions on something under 150? or on what to do with this camera and all it's pieces i have left???
    You might want to start a new thread in the "Which Camera Should I Buy" forum. This is a very old and unrelated thread.

Is there any way to get the pictures back on this. My girlfriend just dropped mine and now i have a couple of lens i would like to reassemble. Any help is appreciated.

I will post a download link, ... as soon as I find them.

Here you go. The numbers of instructions from the original post are the same as the pictures. (I think )
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/xdmlmm...akeapartS2.zip
    Last edited by G_lock; 01-13-2010 at 01:45 AM.

I would need an advice, if anyone still checks this topic:
    If the aperture does not open, how can I find out what should be done, after the camera is open? How do I recognize the failure?

(I have an S2iS, mine too was dropped (two years ago) and the problem is that the aperture did not open. Two years ago it was taken to service and the guys said it was aperture, fixed it and it worked for couple of months, than the failure repeated. Now it is not worth paying for the service again and I would try to fix it on my own.

Thanks

bower64 hasn't been here for a while, wish I could help you out. But if nothing seems to be physically impeding the movement of the shutter it's probably has to do with it not recieving a signal.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

I found this forum while working on a S2 Is. It helped me with the spring and
    ball location.
    To repair the black screen problem, it was oil on the shutter parts. It's part
    of the iris unit. Very delicate to remove and clean with alcohol.

I know this is an old thread, but it was a great find for me. I just had my trusty 5 year old S2IS die with a E18 error. The cost to repair a 5 year old 5MP camera just seemed like a waste so I ordered the latest from Canon (Sx20IS). When I found this link I figured its dead anyways so what do I have to lose and started tearing it apart. Everything was going well and I had the 3 main gears removed. There didn't seem to be any dirt in the gears, but the lens seemed to be a little sticky rotating so I removed the outer lens.

Unfortunately there wasn't a warning about flying parts at this step (#28). The ball bearing went flying and I have no idea where it is. Unless someone knows what size the ball bearing is, I'm dead in the water. Does anybody out there have one they could check the size and let me know?

After reviewing the other posts more carefully I think I can measure the hole for the ball bearing with pin gauges to try and determine the size (as an engineer I do that sort of thing for a living). I will post my findings and where a replacement can be purchased if need be. An actual measurement would still be better if anyone has one.
    Last edited by dnd4evr; 08-24-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: more info

I measured the hole for the spring and pin. The largest gauge pin that can be easily slid in is .079" (a .077" can be dropped in). The spring ID is .051" and the spring OD is .067". The largest pin that will fit into the hole after the outer lens guide pin is in plase is .066". So, the ball bearing needs to be less than .079" to fit in the hole, but more than .067" to be trapped by the guide pin (I was thinking .077").

Turns out McMaster-Carr sells 5/64 (.078") stainless steel ball bearings (50 pcs/package) for 5.24 + S&H. I only wanted 1 so I went to a local camera shop hoping they could sell me a repair part. Turns out they only send cameras out so no parts, but he did have a traded in S2IS with the aperature problem he was willing to sell for $10. So I now have to choose if I want to spend $10 to play Dr Frankenstien and possibly get a working camera + a bunch of spare parts - OR - spend about the same amount and possibly get a working camera and have 49 left over bearing balls. Not real anxious to tear apard a 2nd one, but ... maybe ... if I I got 1 working I could buy the bearings too and ultimately get them both working? ;-)