Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Metering fine tuning, I wish all dSLR's had this.

So, I've been playing around with my D200 more delving into the custom settings and found one I think should be defacto included with every DSLR.

Exposure metering fine tuning.

What is this?

In D200, the 3 major metering systems are spot, center weighted and 3d matrix (IE: evaluative).

As anyone who uses dSLR's know, camera metering is "good" but not perfect and we each tend to prefer our images a certain way, in my case, a bit bright. For two reasons, one is to reduce noise as underexposing a shot boosts noise and two because I tend to like brighter skin tones and faces.

So enters in the metering fine tuning. On D200 you can set each of the 3 meters via a custom setting to be + or minus 1 entire stop in 1/6th stop incriments.

The irony is the more I think of it it's an easy to impliment feature. Why? Because the exposure is set by a number in the CPU data for the camera. It says "ok I've got X EV read from sensor, let me apply X to my ISO, apature and I'll get a shutter speed. To fine tune that +1 you just say "x+1" then apply that or "x-1" for one negative.

Just thought I'd post about this feature, really impressed me.

Is it avalible on the 1 series canon bodies? I think the same feature is on the d2x.

Tim

OR you can apply your own EV from shot to shot. I'd rather not have to remember that my camera is set to over or underexpose by x amount each time I meter a scene...

I'm not sure either why this is such a cool feature... same as the way confusing and weird options for AF of the D200.

"Canon CMOS, I wish all dSLRs had this."
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    OR you can apply your own EV from shot to shot. I'd rather not have to remember that my camera is set to over or underexpose by x amount each time I meter a scene...
    I immediately thought the same thing.. I would certainly forget if the different meters were preset seperately..
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

I think I'd rather just use Exposure Compensation than stuff around with my base-line metering - but I'm old-school.

The 1-series doesn't have this FYI.
    Christian Wright; Dip Phot
    EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | EOS-1V HS
    L: 14/2.8 II | 24/1.4 II | 35/1.4 | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 400/2.8 IS | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-105/4 IS | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS
    580EX II | EF 12 II | EF 25 II

can you provide us with some qualitative results? I thought the automatic pop-up flash impressed me too.

EOS 30D | EOS 350D | EOS 88 | A95
    EF 50mm f1.8 MKI | EF-S 10-22 | EF 28-105 mkII | EF 17-40 F4L| EF 70-200 F4L
    LowePro AW 200
    Canon 550EX Speedlite
    RC-1 IR Remote
    Dynatran Carbon Fibre CF881 Ballhead Tripod
    Dynatran Carbon Fibre CF901 Monopod

Veritas Images

VI-Blog

Quote Originally Posted by some guy
    can you provide us with some qualitative results? I thought the automatic pop-up flash impressed me too.
    Ouch. That's gotta hurt.
    Christian Wright; Dip Phot
    EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | EOS-1V HS
    L: 14/2.8 II | 24/1.4 II | 35/1.4 | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 400/2.8 IS | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-105/4 IS | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS
    580EX II | EF 12 II | EF 25 II

The point being metering systems tend to meter consistently and you could fill a stadium with people who complain that the evalulative metering consistantly underexposes or spot meter consistently overexposes.

Now instead of having "oh wait what was my EC set at" you can adjust the meter to meter how you want it.

You want something always exposed + you can set the meter positive. THEN scene by scene decided the EV which shouldn't be used to "fix" metering issues but rather to adjust for target scenes.

Example: On my 20d evalulative always seemed to underexpose to save highlights but as I shoot raw I'd rather have a 1/3 to 1/2 EV exposure boost in 99% of scenes because I've got the headroom in the raw. On 20d I'd have to sec ec + 1/3 or 2/3 and remember that when adjusted EV for a scene that "oh wait I shoot at +2/3 usually so now if I want to overexpose a bit I have to add on top of my base EC whatever I want.

Then I have to worry if I switch to spot well if I spot on something dark and I've got that +EV EC programed in I need to tune it down again.

Simply, the metering adjusting lets you override the dSLR's native "decessions" on a meter basis to overcome issues like the above to your liking. Same with neg metering say in spot to always underexpose to save your lightlights if you tend to spot on too bright subjects or your spot meter seems cosistently to be exposing + or - to some value.

No one here can say any one metering mode exposes to one side?

I know I had so on 20d, almost always set to + 2/3 on eval and -1/3 on center weighted.

Tim

Let me explain it another way.

Think of it as the speedometer on your car. If your car always was a few mph faster then the speedometer was would it make more sense to "always add a few mph" to what you see or have the speedometer recalibrated to show the correct speed.

Now "correct exposure" is by it's deffinition something you can calibrate but by the eye of most humans it is not. While some can look at a shot and say "perfect, print it" others can look at a shot and say "I always have to add 2/3 EV to my shots"

I think this if a fantastic tool to be able to customize the meter to your calibrated standard. So instead of "Always adding a few mph" your meter shows you what you "expect" it to show you then you adjust from that.

I think the next thing they should add is this for focus. Allow user "fine tunable" AF. IE: You can set your AF say "1/10th's of a dof" back/front. So the lens says "Move to here" you can adjust it yourself for backfocusing/frontfocusing issues to "move to here +1/10th of a dof" or "move to here minus 1/2 a dof"

Tim

Oh and the popup flash is cool, but mine is a remote flash commander

Tim