Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ok as I'm reading the contest (even though it is fictional) I think an SLR is too much for me... there are so many pieces/lens/"glass" and I don't want to fiddle with that right now.... far from professional here *lol*

With no offense intended to DS (who made a very imaginative and fun thread!), a more pragmatic resource would be my Lens Buyers Guide. It walks you through the whole process using simple language and descriptions, and you can probably decide from there whether you think DSLR's are the route to go or not.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8089

All in all, DSLR's are really not a whole lot different from high end cameras from a complication standpoint. Buy the body and slap on a walkaround lens, and you're set for awhile. Or if you're not up for making more decisions at this moment, buy the Rebel XT kit for $800 and call it a day.

Lightbulb To be fair...

The $6500 budget was a kind of BEST CASE SCENARIO for the photographer who wanted excellent shooting glass and had to meet the 10-500mm range requirement.

Obviously, not everyone needs that kind of range (at least not in the beginning).

Normally you could get by with a Rebel XT... a battery grip... a Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens... an Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens... and an Ultra Wide Angle, such as the Tokina 12-24mm f/4.

That nifty package would run about $1900, on a good day. That would be basic, but still capable of decent photography... add an external flash (Canon 430EX) for about $300... and you'd have telephoto light support.

That'd get you going... with a really nice bag.

Drop off the UWA and throw in a Canon EF 1.4x teleconverter, and you are just about at the same range of the Canon PowerShot S3 IS
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-18-2006 at 10:38 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Also Struggeling

Hi,

I'm facing the same problem S3 or XT.
    I'm leaving for Australia in november and need a new camera
    I want it to be light and easy to use.
    Want a zoom (not mega but acceptable)

I narrowed it down to

S3IS + 0,6 Converter for wide shots
    or
    XT with Sigma 18-200 (it's not that much more expensive to the S3IS)

Before everybody start shooting at the lens, i did my research and
    it suits my needs.
    And compared to the S3IS i will stand up perfectly
    I currently have a S50 and makes perfect pictures
    So anything better is ok

I don't want starting changing lenses in the dessert, so 1 lens will have to do

What do you think

Greetzzzzzz......

Red face Despite some opinion to the contrary...

The SIGMA or TAmROn 18-200mm zooms are a pair of the best "utility" lenses out there. To be entirely fair, there are some reviews for these two lenses you should consider before slapping down your $380 for one or the other.

SIGMA

TAmROn

Good luck with your solo lens effort.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Talking yes i know

Hello DonSchap,

Thanx for the reply, but i allready had seen both pages and much more.

I know it's not the best lens for the XT, but i'm comparing to the S3IS

So XT + Sigma 18-200 or S3IS + 0,6 Converter

That's my question, but have pro and con's

But what do you people think i should get?
    Keeping in mind also previous post

Greetzzzzz.....

Red face Okay...

If you can not decide, given all the data and reference material you have been exposed to...

Excuse me, I have to go mount some photographs...

flickr & Sdi