Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

canon XT or canon S3?

I know 2 different types of cameras!! but wondering should I stick with the higher end P&S or try the low end DSLR?? Keep in mind I currently have a P&S (crap one at that) love photography and need a new camera mainly for family and the odd hobby pics.

I was (probably still am but getting nervous) completely excited to get the canon S3 but wonder if I should fork over the xtra money for the SLR??

Maybe I should wait a few years for when I have time and money (for all those accessories) for an SLR.

what do you guys think?

Oh boy I feel like such an indecisive chump.

thanks in advance for helping this sorry soul out LMAO!!!!

There was a contest here a short time ago and basically you were given $6500 to buget out a complete setup. It was a real interesting exercise if I find it I'll post the link. But it still boils down to what's going to make you happy. If your under financial constraints that will not allow you utilize the XT as you would like then your answer is simple.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Cool If it is limited photgraphy...

the S3 IS offers a terrific range with its 12x zoom... ranging from an equivalent 36 to 432mm of focal length. That is impressive. Youi can also purchase the 1.5x telephoto lens (which needs an adapter) and get out to 648mm, also. Again... impressive.

There is also a 0.75x wide angle, which will take the focal length back to 28mm. A normal wide angle in anyone's book.

The open aperture is also quite wide... from f/2.7-3.5

To do anywhere near this range with an SLR would require scads of money... for the wide aperture optics and that telephoto... whoa-ho!

Yeah... the bang for the buck is in the S3.

Getting this out of an XT or any other SLR... easily $2000-3000.

Just ask 'Coldrain'... apparently he knows everything.

'Xailo', here's your link - $6500
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-18-2006 at 03:07 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You of all should know that range is not everything.

EOS 30D | EOS 350D | EOS 88 | A95
    EF 50mm f1.8 MKI | EF-S 10-22 | EF 28-105 mkII | EF 17-40 F4L| EF 70-200 F4L
    LowePro AW 200
    Canon 550EX Speedlite
    RC-1 IR Remote
    Dynatran Carbon Fibre CF881 Ballhead Tripod
    Dynatran Carbon Fibre CF901 Monopod

Veritas Images

VI-Blog

Thumbs up The S3 IS is...

a great P&S or "bridge" camera. It is really hard not to recommend it to someone. I've shot it... played with it... reviewed its work... and own one. With the focal range it has... it covers the bases.

Of course, it isn't a dSLR. Nor does it have the exception cost of owning a dSLR either.

The S3 IS is a perfect budget camera... provided your budget is at least $500

I figure that if all you have is $700... then this is it. It covers the gamut, with adapters and stuff. The optional telephoto and wide angle dip you in for a little more. Glass is glass, what can I say?

If you can pony up $3000... we'll talk, again, because some serious decisions need to be made for lensing coverage. That's simply the way I see it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-18-2006 at 03:51 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yeah! That's It

Thanks Don, so in case you missed the link cdnphotographer here it is the $6500 question

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21180

No reason to feel like a chump, life is full of options that will never change. I have to definately agree with Don the range you get out the box with the S3 is just great, you can also add a tele, wide, and macro lenses. This camera can easily make you forgive its short comings. And it is just plain fun. You can trick this baby out with everything you may need for under a Grand: lens, tripod, rechargeable batteries, case, adapters, memory, filters, book - Understanding Exposure Revised Edition by Bryan Petterson. Like MC Hammer used to say "Can't Touch this".

I want to thank all the people who have recommended this book "awesome." btw there's a new edition. Excellent read, nice pictures too.
    Last edited by XaiLo; 07-18-2006 at 05:16 PM.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

now I was told that the S1 is terrible for low light and especially action + low light shots.. Is the same for the S3??

I'm not worried about cost, per say. you have the S3 which is $500 (upwards of $1000 with accessories it seems) and the XT which is $1000 (upwards of $3k w/ accessories!! OUCH)

I need what is best for me w/o wasting any money kwim?
    Last edited by cdnphotographer; 07-18-2006 at 10:03 PM.