Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

mig15 Guest

For movies: regular SD card or fast?

Hello,

I am going to buy Cannon Powershot A710 IS and along with shooting pictures I would like to take occasional movies at 640 to 480 and 30 ps (I hope I wrote it correctly). My question is whether I should buy fast SD card for this camera for shooting movies or regular SD card would do.

I have already bought 2GB Verbatim regular SD card in a store nearby maily because it was on sale. And next week I will go to bestBuy to purchase the camera itself. But I read the review of the aforementioned camera on your site where it recommends fast card for movies and started thinking whether I should return it to the store in exchange for a fast Sandisk Ultra II SD?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Some input from a non professional

Hey.

Don't see this as a professional advice. It's only from my experience.
    I have a Canon PowerShot A620 with a standart SanDisk SD card. Taking short movies (the longest i took yet was about 1 min) in 640X480 30 fps (in good lighting conditions) gave very satisfactory results.

Having said that, i'm going (just now) to buy the SanDisk Ultra II SD card. But this is more to increase the volume (2 GB vs. the 512 MB i currently have). I was told (here on the forum) that the price difference is not too large, and that the data trasfer to the computer should be faster and worth the higher price.

In addition, it's nice to know that your camera is not limited by the memory card.

Good luck.

I have the SD300 which takes the same movie modes and the standard Sandisk card works fine for all movie modes. Having said that, for just a few more bucks you can get a Ultra-II level card or even the Tanscend 150x card which will make the downloads to your cameras quicker. For that reason alone, I'd recommend a slightly faster card.

-dave-

for the downloads to pc, will the speed be higher when transfering through the camera itself (and not a cardreader)?

stefaan

It depends if the camera supports USB 2.0 High Speed transfer or not. Many cameras don't, they only support Full Speed transfer, which isn't nearly as fast.

-dave-

I have a Canon a630, so i guess it supports usb2...

But will i notice a difference when transfering through a cardreader?

I use mostly a Canon A640 and while I don't shoot video much I use the continuous burst mode all the time, and there is a difference when using the a Verbatim of unspecified speed and a Sandisk Ultra II that isn't subtle. You will probably have more of a smile on your face with the faster card.

But don't return the Verbatim. Just treat yourself to the faster Sandisk as well. Keep a few cheap on sale cards on in the bag for when you might need one.