Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 515 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Some S3 Pics

I cant wait to get mine now!

I like this one

It's a nice camera you'll definately enjoy it unfortunately I really haven't had time to shoot many pictures.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Quote Originally Posted by XaiLo
    It's a nice camera you'll definately enjoy it unfortunately I really haven't had time to shoot many pictures.
    Me too.. it makes me sad.. my S3 is sitting all alone at home. I work and when I get home its already dusk and suns KINDA going away... esp thsi week.. all rain n clouds.. ticks me off.. .

Anyway those are some nice pictures !!! Makes me like my S3 even more.. ahh I cant wait till the weekend, gonna take some pics =D Again, NICE PICTURESS!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by XaiLo
    It's a nice camera you'll definately enjoy it.
    Nice pics! I see you also have the S2. Just wondering why you got the S3. Since everything I read says they are about the same with a few added features. Can you tell a difference in picture quality? I have an S2 as well, just wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to the S3. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparty
    Nice pics! I see you also have the S2. Just wondering why you got the S3. Since everything I read says they are about the same with a few added features. Can you tell a difference in picture quality? I have an S2 as well, just wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to the S3. Thanks!!
    This whole thing about the S3 not being a worthy upgrade is such a lot of bunk! Sometimes I think people say things just to say them...reviewers included...

This list of updated features is long and comprehensive and important to anyone who cares to really take note:
    • Live Histogram
    • Increased Focus Accuracy
    • Larger LCD
    • Decreased Shutter Lag
    • Decreased Purple Fringing Levels
    • Rule of Thirds Grid
    • More Custom Controls
    • Increased Dynamic Range Control
    • Decreased Highlight Clipping
    • (Color) Black
    • Dedicated ISO Button
    • Post Editing
    • 16:9 Aspect Ratio
    • 6.3 MP - Produces smooth, highly detailed 11x14" and 13x19" prints without compromise
    • Faster Shutters Speeds
    • Sports Mode
    Thank you XaiLo for compiling the most comprehansive list!

There's probably even more, but I've only had it a week! After owning both cameras, there is simply no question that the S3 is a more desirable camera and that the extra cost is well worth it.
    Last edited by JTL; 07-12-2006 at 03:04 PM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

My S2 fell and broke the lens shaft ...with that said I still opted to wait for the release of the S3 before I made my purchase. I chose the S3 over the price declining S2 because of some of the new features most notably better focusing, live histogram, decreased shutter lag, and less fringing. I would have to say in my opinion culmatively these features will invariably afford you a better opportunity of getting a good picture of what you want. The new CCD will hopefully have better processing algorithims.

Odds are I would have sold my S2 and bought the S3 if it had not broken. I only had the S2 for about 5 or 6 weeks. I also planned on using it for a business application so I did and do need decent shots. Considering I intend on also purchasing a D200 makes it maybe a little more significant that I opted for the S3 money that would have otherwise gone towards the D200.

But for me the S3 was worth it and I respectfully disagree with most who say there's little difference between them. It would be hard for me to fairly compare picture quality because the subject matter and lighting conditions were different for both cameras so it will be a while before I could tell you about that. But I have noticed a drastic drop in blured pictures so for me that's a real plus because the LCD does not do a good job of letting you know you have taken a bad picture at times.

Check here for a feature list:
    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=92

If I had it to do all over again I would still buy the S3 so in short the answer to your question is yes. Most of these pictures are quite nice despite being shot with a CP filter. It was a heavy overcast day with only a peek of the sun here and there. hth

Edit: One more thing I would like to add a lot of the reviews I read seemed like the reviewers were to lazy to right a decent review. It was like they just copied and pasted their S2 review. I had to really dig hard to find out what the real differences were early on and sadly this was prevalent even on reputable sites this seemed to be the case. Which is a shame because with the Pro 1 and G6 being discountinued this is Canons flagship in that market segment until further notice and it deserves better than a fleeting glance.
    Last edited by XaiLo; 07-12-2006 at 05:37 PM.

NikonD?

0.0%

Cool

Thanks for your replies!! It looks like a sweet camera to me. Guess I might just do the upgrade!!

Excellent pics!

Looks like the S3 is a nice upgrade. I am still learning my S2 though...
    Nikon D90 & D5100
    Nikon 18-105 VR
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon 55-200 VR
    Nikon 70-300 VR
    f/8 and be there...
    My Flickr

S2...S3...potato potahtoe

It's a fine camera, but there is no getting around the fact that it's a minor upgrade to the S2, and IMO not worth a 25% upgrade in price. Just like in your opinion which you throw around here in anger as fact that it is worth the upgrade. The S3 is a fine camera and worth the asking price but when you put it up against an S2 especially at closeout prices it's just not that much more camera.
    • Live Histogram-this one is useful, should have been on all of the S-superzooms
    • Increased focus accuracy-the S3 is a little better here from what I have read, I have never really considered this to be a real defect, I guess the focusing could be better, I have always looked at auto focus as a guide, I started photography with manual focus and auto focus is great, but still a convenience. I have had to hunt around for objects with more contrast sometimes though, if the S3 has dealt with the S2s long range focus issues it definitely has an edge here.
    • Larger LCD-Ho Hum, its really marginally larger, and all LCD playback screens are pretty much useless, the real proof is when it's displayed on the computer screen. And although larger it still has the same 115,000 pixels. This is America though and bigger is better...
    • Decreased Shutter Lag-I don't see any evidence of this, in Phil Askey's timings the S2 and S3 are virtually a dead heat with each camera taking a slight lead here or there, or the back seat here or there. There is nothing that jumps out as either camera being faster in Phil's tests. And Phil Askey and Jeff Keller are pretty good sources of accurate info.
    • Decreased Purple Fringing Levels-Huh? these cameras use the exact same optics! I guess the fringing could be caused by the CCD, and maybe the 6mp CCD is superior here. Everything I have read says the S3 has plenty of PF to go around. Life with a super zoom compact.
    • Rule of Thirds Grid-Ho Hum, do you really need a grid to tell you to use this rule?
    • More Custom Controls-yep, it's now got a sports mode....oh, and a color accent mode. I never have ventured south of P, there is nothing in those modes that can't be done elsewhere on the dial of either camera, or with post processing in PS.
    • Increased Dynamic Range-Huh? AFAIK there haven't been any developments here, about 5 stops of light standard for a CCD. The only development I know of is the Fuji super CCD, Fuji may be on to something here, hopefully Canon will develop something similar.
    • Decreased Highlight Clipping-Repeat of above, if the camera truly has increased dynamic range then of course we would be clipping less highlights, like I stated above, I don't know of any developments here. I am guessing if less clipping is indeed true, that canon tweaked down the metering a little, maybe biased in about -1/3ec. I am pretty sure the same thing was done with the 30D.
    • (Color) Black-Yeah, black ones take much better pictures.
    • Dedicated ISO Button-yeah, useful, but press function, cursor down to ISO, and over to ISO desired, shoot, not so hard.
    • Post Editing-I didn't know the S3 had this, but much more accurate and better post editing can be done in your computer, the screen is much too small to really see enough to edit well.
    • 16:9 Aspect Ratio-Nothing but an in camera crop, I guess it would be good for those with 16:9 TVs for full screen video.
    • 6.3 MP - Produces smooth, highly detailed 11x14" and 13x19" prints without compromise-Megapixel hype, yeah there's a little more info there, but very little more. To print an 8x10 picture at 300dpi(considered high quality)you need 6mp. 11x14 or 13x19? You could print at 150dpi and have a very good quality photo, but up close you would see the dots, 5mp vs 6mp is hardly a bump in quality, sure you can print a high quality 8x10 with the S3 where the S2 will be slightly below this quality.
    • Faster Shutters Speeds-Huh? They have the exact same shutter speeds 15-1/3200, and they have virtually the same burst speeds with the S2 actually having an insignificant edge 2.4fps vs 2.3fps.
    • Sports Mode-yep, kind of mentioned above too, more modes...I can accept this as a selling point although again I would rather be in control and choose what I want with the shot rather than what the mode says I should.

In conclusion, I will say it again: the S3 is a fine camera, and if the choice wasn't available to still buy an S2 it would absolutely be a no brainer. It is one of the top 2 or 3 in it's class. The differences between the S1 and the S2 were quite substantial, the differences between the S2 and S3 are really quite minor. Just enough to make some move up, which is the norm for our digital age, only now the changes aren't major, more like tweaking. I have been looking toward the S2 for over a year, but hoping something with some more oomph would come out, when the S3 was introduced the decision was easy. The S3 simply didn't offer enough over the S2 to not take advantage of the close out prices. The 20D is on my short list right now for the very same reasons. What would have made me go for the S3? RAW would have sold me in a heartbeat, a better, brighter EVF, and truly better high ISO performance would be nice, instead we got a toned down ISO 400(not as sensitive as ISO 400 on the S2) and an ISO 800 which is pretty un-useable. A hotshoe would have been great, a status LCD on top like the G series, and maybe faster optics(but I don't want to have to pay the price for them).
    Last edited by TenD; 07-14-2006 at 12:53 AM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

It's a fine camera, but there is no getting around the fact that it's a minor upgrade to the S2, and IMO not worth a 25% upgrade in price. Just like in your opinion which you throw around here in anger as fact that it is worth the upgrade. The S3 is a fine camera and worth the asking price but when you put it up against an S2 especially at closeout prices it's just not that much more camera.
    I don't know if this was in reference to JTL or myself. Personally I have already stated that in this forum that S2 to S3 was not as significant an upgrade the S1 to S2. And have also stated and reccomended that the S2 at it's current price point is a steal. With that said "focusing" was the main issue I had with the S2 when you add that to AF it translates into long wait times to getting a shot off that you have by now missed. Most often due to venue I find myself at the long end where I can not get up close and personal. Granted the screen size increase was marginal but compared side by side and in use it's almost night and day, manual focus is actually usable now. And shutter lag is more reasonable under these circumstances. I find the ability to focus properly and accurately very inviting. Live histogram speaks for itself. New CCD 8x10 quality makes for added opportunities. In my opinion those were enough for me to choose the S3 for my needs especially "focus".

NikonD?

0.0%