Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Replaced LCD in S3

Well, I just replaced the LCD in my S3 and I have to say, it was pretty easy. All you need is a very small Philips head screw driver (really small...like something a jeweler would use), a replacement LCD (I paid ~$50) and about 20 minutes time. If anyone would like detailed instructions...let me know.

I almost got rid of the S3 for the SX20, but I just love the quality of the photos from the S3.

Scott

First...you have to remove the four screws from the ends of the LCD screen assembly. You can see two of them in this view and there are two more on the opposite side. Make sure you have the correct size screw driver or you will strip the heads on the screws (don't ask me how I know).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Second you remove the back cover and that will give you access to the LCD/Backlight/Circuit Board Assy.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the dis-assembly process but I found pictures of most of the individual components. Hopefully that will help.

Third, there are two more screws (one on each side of the LCD/Circuit Board Assy) that secure the LCD/Circuit Board Assy to the front trim (location shown in first picture below). Be careful here as two small brackets come out also (shown in second picture)

Next, the LCD/Backlight/Circuit Board sandwich should now come right out of the front trim piece (there will be some wires still attached but it's not a big deal).

Now you'll need to separate the LCD/Backlight sandwich from the Circuit board. This is held in place by four clips. Gently use you screw driver to push them open and pop the LCD/Backlight out.

Lastly, remove the LCD from the Circuit board by sliding the black connector away from the white connector. The LCD's ribbon cable should slide out from the slot very easily.

Now it's just a case of reversing the steps to put it back together.

What really bothered me about this whole process is that it made me realize just how exposed the LCD is. There is little to no protection. What you see in the below picture is the replacement LCD and it's completely exposed just waiting to be damaged.

Yeah...I know just turn the LCD around, but still. Even most cell phones have a glass or crystal protective surface on them.

Well, I hope this helps someone out there...

Scott