Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Looking for a compact camera - comparable to the A95

This will be my first digital camera. I read a lot of good reviews about the Canon A95, but some people prefer the A80 because of purple fringing. I now see that the A80 has the same problem. I'm looking for a camera in the $400-$500 price range, or close to it. I need something that will be automated but can easily be switched to manual if I ever decide to get creative. I basically need the A95 without purple fringing. I like the size and feel of it. I would need at least 4 MP with at least 3x optical zoom. I would prefer a stylish camera. The most important is the quality of the picture...I know, I know...I want a $2000 camera for $400. Do you have to try hard to see purple fringing in the A80 or A95? Can software take care of it?

Thanks
    Gabriel

I would like to add that I will be shooting indoors and outdoors. Will do my best to avoid direct light, but you never know.

Talking Fuji FinePix E550 or Konica Minolta DIMAGE G600?

Have you looked at the Fuji FinePix E550 or an Konica Minolta DIMAGE G600? I am looking at this and the A95. I have looked at the pictures from the A95 in great detail and the purple fringing isn't really that massive a problem for me, but I am more of an amateur. I have heard the A95 does really well in low lighting photo's whereas the E550 is quite poor, but has a 4x Optical and 6Megapixels. The A95 has a neat tilt/swivel screen which would be good for high or low shots...

I am still undecided and after reading a lot about the A95 there is an issue with Canon's warranty. The A series have a slight problem with fatal errors (E18) which Canon claim is through user abuse and refuse to fix the problem under warranty, but at cost - this is nearly the price of new A95 too... Even if the camera is only 1 week old and looked after...

I personally need a night capable camera so it looks I may get my future A95 insured for "All Risks"

BTW: My first camera was a Nikon Coolpix 2000 (Easy to use, but lacked real night photo capablities) and I am looking to upgrade to an auto/manual camera, but I have enjoyed it all the same.