Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

D70 - Scratched image sensor IR filter - help!

I was attempting to clean a 'welded' dust spot on my Nikon D70 CCD and my cleaning tool malfunctioned, scratching the CCD IR filter. Nikon is quoting $700+ to repair it, saying they must replace the entire CCD board.

The scratched filter is actually easily removeable from the CCD, and there are several websites instructing users how to remove it. I disassembled my camera and removed mine, and it would be a simple matter to replace it with another (If I could find one, or buy one from Nikon).

I actually am not interested in IR photography personally, but there may be someone out there who is willing to sell the filter they have removed from their camera, or know someone else who may.

Can anyone help me with getting back on the road with my D70 in color for less than Nikon's outrageous repair cost?

Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by grayner01@yahoo.com
    I was attempting to clean a 'welded' dust spot on my Nikon D70 CCD and my cleaning tool malfunctioned, scratching the CCD IR filter. Nikon is quoting $700+ to repair it, saying they must replace the entire CCD board.

The scratched filter is actually easily removeable from the CCD, and there are several websites instructing users how to remove it. I disassembled my camera and removed mine, and it would be a simple matter to replace it with another (If I could find one, or buy one from Nikon).

I actually am not interested in IR photography personally, but there may be someone out there who is willing to sell the filter they have removed from their camera, or know someone else who may.

Can anyone help me with getting back on the road with my D70 in color for less than Nikon's outrageous repair cost?

Gary.
    Since you already have the filter out, it might be easier to have the scratch buffed out of the glass filter (worth a try). I'm pretty sure that most watch repair shops (that carry high end Rolex's, and etc.) can buff light scratches from watch crystals.

OR

You might want to check to see if there is a camera repair facility in your area (not sure of where you are). Some repair guys will take on the challenge as long as you sign a waiver. Getting the filter may be the tough part. Know anybody in Thailand?
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/