Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Cropping aspect ratios.

I was told that the cropping aspect ratio size doesn't matter no matter what size the print paper is. Is this true? I was always under the assumption that if you wanted an image to fill lets say 4x6 photo paper you would have to crop the image (if you were planning to crop that picture) at 4x6 as well to avoid getting unwanted white bars. To get the cropped at 4X6 aspect ratio image to completely fill 4x6 photo paper. Same if you wanted to fit the image onto an 8x10 sheet.

Though, he admits to not being sure how this works on a consumer grade printer as he puts his pics onto a CD and hands the disc to the dweebs at Costco.

What say you? And what photo printers would you suggest? I'm thinking of one of the 8-ink Canon Photo printers or a HP (yes I did notice that one thread where some one told us not to buy a HP printer..heh...I have always had good results from HP products...so shrug).

Thanks!
    Nikon D300, Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8, SB-800

Photo printers will either crop off the "extra" pixels, usually by centering the image and casting off the stuff on either side; or they will letterbox the image by making the entire image fit on the print, leaving the top and bottom with a black strip.

If you want the image to fill up the entire print and you want control of where the cropping happens, you'll need to crop the images yourself.

-dave-

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky
    Photo printers will either crop off the "extra" pixels, usually by centering the image and casting off the stuff on either side; or they will letterbox the image by making the entire image fit on the print, leaving the top and bottom with a black strip.

If you want the image to fill up the entire print and you want control of where the cropping happens, you'll need to crop the images yourself.

-dave-
    Hey dave,

So what you're saying is if I want the image to fill the entire print the aspect ratio of the cropping that I did has to match that of the printed page. For example, if I want to print an image that will completely fill a single sheet of 4x6 photo paper, the image has to have been cropped using the same aspect ratio.

Correct, unless you instruct the printer to stretch the image unevenly to fill up the screen, and that is a very bad idea.

Obviously, a 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 all have different ratios, making this a bit of a pain. European sizes (A1, A2, A3, A4, etc) are all the same ratio, which makes this much easier.

-dave-

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky
    Correct, unless you instruct the printer to stretch the image unevenly to fill up the screen, and that is a very bad idea.

Obviously, a 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 all have different ratios, making this a bit of a pain. European sizes (A1, A2, A3, A4, etc) are all the same ratio, which makes this much easier.

-dave-
    Ok, thanks dave! Just wanted to confirm with you.

While we're on the topic of printing...I'll be in the market for a high quality photo printer. What do you think of Canon's 8-ink printers (Pixma 8500 and the 9900i)? And HP's 8-ink 8450 and their semi-pro model the 8750 with 9-inks? And what do you think of Epson printers?

I have problems with my old Epson C60 when either of the two cards runs close to empty. The black could be 3/4 full and the color 1/4 full. And, what would happen is when I do color prints the colors would be completely off. Is it just my own C60? A problem with this model? Or Epson printers in general?

I had a HP inkjet before. And the printouts would just gradually fade till there was nothing left. I liked that.

Any recommendations or comments?

Thanks.