Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your comments on waterfall shots with my D50 - kit lens

My 2nd attempt at waterfall shots. Provo River Falls, Mirror Lake area of the Uinta Mountains, Utah, USA.

I used the self-timer and my tripod, and shorter shutter speeds than my last time (which resulted in blown water.) The first shot was at 1/20 sec, the others 1/8. When I print them, I'll see if they are still blown ...

Please critique! My technique, settings, focus, composition, anything. Edits welcomed.

Name:  DSC_2975.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  131.5 KB

Name:  DSC_2982.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  DSC_2983.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  DSC_2998.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  98.5 KB
    The light was fading as I took this one ... the white balance must have been thrown off. I had it on Cloudy. It turned out so blue that I just changed it to B&W. What should I have done?
    Name:  DSC_3010-1.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  98.5 KB

Name:  DSC_3010.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  116.3 KB
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Really like the second one. It looks so fluid. And I like how you can see through the water and see the detail on the rocks. Great job.
    TJG
    S2 IS

very nice
    my favs were 2 and 4

I like the contrast of the trees, the rocks and the water in the first picture. Maybe you could crop the picture a little closer and get rid of some of the trees and the large rock on the left side of the water.I hope you don't mind but I was thinking kind of like this:Attachment 13320

I don't know what your level of experience in photoshop but the blue tint might be fixed using curves, shadow and highlights and color balance, ( I know there are probably many other ways to remove the blue but this was what I came up with as an example. Attachment 13321

I'm impressed with the kit lens' performance. The water itself is great, I really like the see-through falls of the second picture.

Regards,

Bob
    Last edited by Blob; 09-02-2006 at 02:14 AM.

Thank you for your comments.

Bob, right now I just have Nikon PictureProject and Picasa. I tried "warmify" in Picasa, which helped some, but gave a dirty cast to the water. I want to get a better PP program, my credit card is suggesting PSP.
    I like the crop you made to the 2nd picture. That does make it stronger. Thank you!
    Last edited by toriaj; 07-02-2006 at 11:37 AM.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Thumbs up

Great photos! I think that these are perfect examples of how to shoot water to get the misty effect that most photographers desire.

I too like the crop, think it creates the focus that the photo is looking for.

pbt1234
    http://www.sitrekreator.com/mikewhite
    =============================
    Panasonic FZ-20 User

4th

I enjoyed the 4th image best, I loved the flow of the whitewater and the slower water how it was transparent.

You might try to use selective color in Adobe Photoshop to remove the blue/cyan cast to the water.

Very nice images.
    Durin S. Day

Olympus OM-1n
    Canon 30d
    28-135mm (which is not a good lens in my opinion)

toriaj great pictures. As I am up in Provo visiting for the week, I am planning early morning photo outings up in the Uinta mtns. this week. Any specific spots that you recommend? I am thinkng about Mirror lake, but I am sure there are a lot of great spots to get a great shot. its been a while since I went fishing up there, so feedback would be appreciated. Heck, if you have any free time your welcome to join!

toriaj great pictures. As I am up in Provo visiting for the week, I am planning early morning photo outings up in the Uinta mtns. this week. Any specific spots that you recommend? I am thinkng about Mirror lake, but I am sure there are a lot of great spots to get a great shot. its been a while since I went fishing up there, so feedback would be appreciated. Heck, if you have any free time your welcome to join!

Esoterra, sounds like a great trip! If I were you, I'd go up Hwy 189 though Provo Canyon to Heber, then up Hwy 40, onto Hwy 32 toward Kamas, and up Hwy 150 into the Mirror Lake area. I took these shots in the Mirror Lake area, Provo River Falls. Bridal Veil Falls are a favorite, Stewart Falls up past Sundance, if you go in the mountains at all you'll get some great shots. There's a lake at Moosehorn campground in the Mirror Lake area that will probably be fairly deserted. I'm really no help related to fishing -- we didn't catch anything last weekend

Wow, makes me want to go that route! (too bad I'm busy this weekend ... ) You'll see a lot of beautiful scenery, waterfalls, flowers, wildlife. I saw a moose last week in Mirror Lake. Be careful after dark though, the deer were like an obstacle course!

Post some pics when you're back!
    Last edited by toriaj; 07-04-2006 at 06:48 PM.
    Flickr