Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your comments on waterfall shots with my D50 - kit lens

My 2nd attempt at waterfall shots. Provo River Falls, Mirror Lake area of the Uinta Mountains, Utah, USA.

I used the self-timer and my tripod, and shorter shutter speeds than my last time (which resulted in blown water.) The first shot was at 1/20 sec, the others 1/8. When I print them, I'll see if they are still blown ...

Please critique! My technique, settings, focus, composition, anything. Edits welcomed.

Attachment 13306

Attachment 13308

Attachment 13309

Attachment 13310
    The light was fading as I took this one ... the white balance must have been thrown off. I had it on Cloudy. It turned out so blue that I just changed it to B&W. What should I have done?
    Attachment 13311

Attachment 13312
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Really like the second one. It looks so fluid. And I like how you can see through the water and see the detail on the rocks. Great job.
    TJG
    S2 IS

very nice
    my favs were 2 and 4

I like the contrast of the trees, the rocks and the water in the first picture. Maybe you could crop the picture a little closer and get rid of some of the trees and the large rock on the left side of the water.I hope you don't mind but I was thinking kind of like this:Attachment 13320

I don't know what your level of experience in photoshop but the blue tint might be fixed using curves, shadow and highlights and color balance, ( I know there are probably many other ways to remove the blue but this was what I came up with as an example. Attachment 13321

I'm impressed with the kit lens' performance. The water itself is great, I really like the see-through falls of the second picture.

Regards,

Bob
    Last edited by Blob; 09-02-2006 at 02:14 AM.

Thank you for your comments.

Bob, right now I just have Nikon PictureProject and Picasa. I tried "warmify" in Picasa, which helped some, but gave a dirty cast to the water. I want to get a better PP program, my credit card is suggesting PSP.
    I like the crop you made to the 2nd picture. That does make it stronger. Thank you!
    Last edited by toriaj; 07-02-2006 at 11:37 AM.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Thumbs up

Great photos! I think that these are perfect examples of how to shoot water to get the misty effect that most photographers desire.

I too like the crop, think it creates the focus that the photo is looking for.

pbt1234
    http://www.sitrekreator.com/mikewhite
    =============================
    Panasonic FZ-20 User

4th

I enjoyed the 4th image best, I loved the flow of the whitewater and the slower water how it was transparent.

You might try to use selective color in Adobe Photoshop to remove the blue/cyan cast to the water.

Very nice images.
    Durin S. Day

Olympus OM-1n
    Canon 30d
    28-135mm (which is not a good lens in my opinion)

toriaj great pictures. As I am up in Provo visiting for the week, I am planning early morning photo outings up in the Uinta mtns. this week. Any specific spots that you recommend? I am thinkng about Mirror lake, but I am sure there are a lot of great spots to get a great shot. its been a while since I went fishing up there, so feedback would be appreciated. Heck, if you have any free time your welcome to join!

toriaj great pictures. As I am up in Provo visiting for the week, I am planning early morning photo outings up in the Uinta mtns. this week. Any specific spots that you recommend? I am thinkng about Mirror lake, but I am sure there are a lot of great spots to get a great shot. its been a while since I went fishing up there, so feedback would be appreciated. Heck, if you have any free time your welcome to join!

Esoterra, sounds like a great trip! If I were you, I'd go up Hwy 189 though Provo Canyon to Heber, then up Hwy 40, onto Hwy 32 toward Kamas, and up Hwy 150 into the Mirror Lake area. I took these shots in the Mirror Lake area, Provo River Falls. Bridal Veil Falls are a favorite, Stewart Falls up past Sundance, if you go in the mountains at all you'll get some great shots. There's a lake at Moosehorn campground in the Mirror Lake area that will probably be fairly deserted. I'm really no help related to fishing -- we didn't catch anything last weekend

Wow, makes me want to go that route! (too bad I'm busy this weekend ... ) You'll see a lot of beautiful scenery, waterfalls, flowers, wildlife. I saw a moose last week in Mirror Lake. Be careful after dark though, the deer were like an obstacle course!

Post some pics when you're back!
    Last edited by toriaj; 07-04-2006 at 06:48 PM.
    Flickr