Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Sony's self cleaning sensor question.

This self cleaning sensor thing seems like a great idea but I'm curious as to how effective it'll be. Once the camera "shakes" off the dust it has to go somewhere. That somewhere is still right there in the camera..even back onto the sensor. Perhaps I'm not understanding this correctly but it does seem like it may lengthen the amount of time between the manual cleaning of the sensor but won't there just be more dust in the cavity to clean up? Not trying to knock Sony or anything just curious.

not sure but...

I saw somewhere that one of the other cameras with this feature has a strip of some tacky, dust-attracting and -holding substance under the sensor, so dust moving around (after being shaken off) will eventually find it's way there and get stuck. Sorry I don't remember more details, and obviously I don't know if this is what Sony is doing, but it's a possibility.

Smile It was my understanding...

that you either open a vent door or leave the lens off, turn the camera face down and eject the contaminents out of the camera body.

"Darn, it's getting stuffy in here!"
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

cleaning

Hi,

Automatic cleaning when power is set off: the dust remains in the camera.
    Manual cleaning: when activated without lens and mirror up, camera face down, the dust falls out.

Xophe

http://users.belgacom.net/christophe.vlaminck/fz1.html
    Xophedebx