Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for 1GB unlimited?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10

3 50.00%
  • $25

2 33.33%
  • $50

0 0%
  • $75

0 0%
  • $100

0 0%
  • $150

0 0%
  • $200

0 0%
  • $250

0 0%
  • $350

0 0%
  • $500

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.

full size image hosting

I notice people talk about wishing to be able to post full size images and was wondering how much people would be prepare to pay for that (I suspect the real answer is $0.00 although people will claim to be willing to pay more).

I have my own personal website that I pay for but because I'm limited to 2GB per month bandwidth, I'm not going to post full size images anytime soon. I'm happy with 500mb disk space for $30 per year.

Given that a RAW image could be 12mb and a top notch JPEG could be 7mb, I wouldn't be able to get many on my site before I'd have to pay for a bigger allocation of webspace and more bandwidth (neither of which I'll do anytime soon). As many people have said in the past I spend money only where it's necessary

How much would you pay for a gigabyte of unlimited bandwidth?

Let's see...

The hosting company that I use gives me 5 GB of disk space (it defaults to 2, but it is expandable to 5 gig as long as you are not using more than 1 gig for email storage).

They also allow me 400 GB of bandwidth per month.

All this for $6.95 (usd) per month.

So back to your question, how much would I pay for 1gb storage, Unlimited bandwidth? Nothing.

So spill the beans. Who is your host?

Lunarpages - www.lunarpages.com

I have been with them for 3+ years. Great service, and very fast 24/7 tech support (with a toll free phone number ).

www.godaddy.com will give you 50gb of space and 500gb/month transfer for $6.29/$5.59 per month (1yr/2yr contract). You could also get a smaller plan (similar to Lunar Pages) of 5gb and 250gb/month transfer for $3.59/$3.19 per month (1yr/2yr contract). I am not trying to say anything bad about LunarPages, but you can get 10x the space and 100gb per month more of transfer and still save about $3.60/$16.32 (1yr/2yr contract) each year.
    Ken
    Canon dSLR User

Those are great tips.

At Smugmug I pay $30/yr (current sign-up prices are $40/yr) for unlimited disk space and 6GB per month of downloads.

I currently have 2.7GB of space used because I typically load full sized photos if I want to order prints, or a friend may order prints (like for a wedding or birthday party).

I've had 4,700 photos viewed for a download bandwidth of .5GB used so far in June.

I get a graphical statistics page showing what galleries get big hits for each pre-sized category (thumbnails, 800x600, etc). For example; I know that "Pierson's Birthday Party", someone downloaded 56 originals, accounting for most of my bandwidth this month.

Further, they pre-size reduced shots for Internet links that are of negligable size, and I can restrict (password protect or require special links for access) to different items (and I think sizes).

Someone could mess me up by downloading a lot of originals in which case I could restrict downloading Originals (but still allow full sized prints). If that becomes a problem, I can either upgrade to double the limits, or start setting restrictions. So far, it's not even come close.

Your survey was right, I'd pay $0.00 for what you described because I already have one. I'de love if they had it for $10.00 because we could recommend it to others.

I've thought of setting up my own server at home for these links, so download wouldn't be a problem - since I have an always-up server. My DSL company doesn't restrict bandwidth usage.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

I keep wondering about setting up a server of my own. I'm using a roadrunner cable connection that's rarely down. Heck, I could redirect all my websites to my own server and save a bundle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    I keep wondering about setting up a server of my own. I'm using a roadrunner cable connection that's rarely down. Heck, I could redirect all my websites to my own server and save a bundle.
    Just get a decent firewall and keep good backups! You're sure to get hacker attempts sooner or later. Some companies keep a secure replica and push the copy out to a less secure server. Depends a lot on whether you have database changes (like orders) that cannot be wiped clean periodically.

I think those guys get their money for a reason, but for simple photo hosting it could be a plus. My main barrier is that it's not worth the risk of having some knucklehead deleting all my photos, messing up my server, and generally causing havoc so I save $30 a year. Besides, the Smugmug support and software would be tough to beat without a lot of effort.

Like I said, a simple link under tight firewall restriction, no problem if you're savy enough to set it up securely without spending.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

If I did something like that then I'd run SME Server on an elderly PC with maybe 500 GB of drivespace portions of which would be rented out to people annually for $5 (after tax and paypal costs). I figure if I could charge that for 500mb with no restriction on bandwidth I could probably make a profit. Of course, users would have to make their own backups.

Go with the new google image hosting service...

You get 6GB of space for $25...
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au