Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

What is it that grows between glass?

Ive seen a few lenses that have somthing between the lenses that grows or distorts the glass in a star pattern and i dont understand whats happening. I cant seem to clean it off and it distorts the images and can sometimes cause focus issues.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

It is probably mold or mildew. Don't keep the lenses in a gym locker ;-)

yeah it's probably fungus - common problem
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I have a fungally-afflicted 135mm Tamron. The focussing ring won't quite reach infinity and is a little slack so when I turn it takes a second before it engages. Would I change this lens? Hell, NO. It's one of the sharpest lenses in my collection and the fungus doesn't seem to affect the photos!

Silica gel packs

Try storing the lens and camera with silica gel packs. Silica packs are relatively cheap and they will take care of the moisture problem. Quite a bit of general merchandise are packaged with them.
    Last edited by XaiLo; 06-25-2006 at 10:57 PM.

Definitely fungus, which is often the kiss of death for lenses In the final stages, the chemicals excreted by it will etch the surface of the glass it's on. It takes awhile to get to that point though, usually.
    Jason
    http://www.jmodzikphoto.com
    Save $5 on Zenfolio using RKS-T9C-M8G
    Flickr
    D200 - Tokina 12-24 - Sigma 30/1.4 - 50/1.8 - 55/3.5 Ai Micro w/PK-13 - 70-300 VR - SB-600 - Gitzo GT2530 + Markins M10