Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Luteba Guest

Question Best digital camera for young child?

Hi there,
    I'm looking to buy a digital camera for my four-year old, to use instead of disposables - no more prints of random furniture! She's careful, so it doesn't need to be extra hardy, but it shouldn't be too expensive. Main question is, will she (or I) be frustrated by a low MP option? Anyone comments from parents whose children use DCs would be welcome.
    Thanks,
    Luteba

Well the Nikon 2100 is a real cheap good option. 99$ 2 megapixel, 3x zoom, good scene mods, really good flash pictures. Really small.

The only downside to nikon 2100/2200 is it autoboosts ISO high up for night shots which result in pretty poor quality, but daytime the shots are downright amazing for the price.

Tim

Oh and don't be worried about the megapixel issue. Quality of image > megapixel count. You see those 4 megapixel cameras advertised in places like officemax for 79.99 are inferior print quality to a 2 megapixel nikon. A poor CCD with more pixels isn't as good as a good CCD with less.

If you want another option, the 7330? the 99$ kodak 3.1 megapixel isn't bad camera. I happen to like the nikon more because it offers optical zoom and I found quality of prints in good light situations to be really exceptional. The low light pictures though, I'll admit, hurt.

Tim

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luteba
    Hi there,
    I'm looking to buy a digital camera for my four-year old, to use instead of disposables - no more prints of random furniture! She's careful, so it doesn't need to be extra hardy, but it shouldn't be too expensive. Main question is, will she (or I) be frustrated by a low MP option? Anyone comments from parents whose children use DCs would be welcome.
    Thanks,
    Luteba
    I'd suggest something cheap and cheerful. The quality doesn't have to be phenomenal. I'd say look around at the cheap shops for something inexpensive. It might be fiddly to get the images off onto the computer but I suspect you'd have to do that for her anyway.

I'd suggest not spending more than $50 on a camera that might get broken, lost or stolen.